What's in a (brand) name?

Abercrombie & Fitch, Adriano Goldschmeid, Brooks Brothers, Burberry, Chanel, Citizens

of Humanity, Coach, Diesel, Donna Karan New York, Fendi, Gucci, Lacoste, Louis Vuitton, Paper Denim and Cloth, Polo by Ralph Lauren, Prada, Sisley, Tommy Hilfiger

We live in a world surrounded by products. And we as consumers have become smitten with logos--especially when it comes to clothing and accessories, where labels, designs and patterns signify not only brand, but social status and style. But does the importance of labels go too far when it comes to clothing? A t-shirt with a designer logo plastered across the front might not be any more stylish in cut or fit than a generic shirt. So does the logo denote an owner who cares about style so much as to buy the most stylish outfit, or is it an indication that we as consumers have somehow become so aesthetically blind as to need logos and brands to help us recognize what looks good? That Coach bag hung over your shoulder right now--why exactly do you like it so much?

The truth is that it's easier to shop for brands than to search out what looks best, and clothiers encourage brand loyalty by making logos more visually appealing. It's a simple form of signaling in a marketplace filled with similar products--and if Gucci. Fendi, Diesel and Burberry are doing it, who's to say it's bad?

Perhaps the most well known of clothing logos is for Polo by Ralph Lauren. The logo is just a simple silhouette of a polo player that has come to represent a style of shirt that's made itself a staple of wardrobes for both men and women. Ralph Lauren is now allowing people to mix and match shirts and logo colors on their website to create variety. And Ralph's hardly alone. Other makers of polo shirts have their own distinct logos, ranging from alligators, ducks and moose to graphic designs, all from big-name labels like Lacoste, Tommy Hilfiger, Brooks Brothers and Abercrombie and Fitch.

And logos extend far beyond just the chest. Placement is key. Nothing stands out like a vertical, red Prada label down the side of a black t-shirt. Tabs on the sides of shirts (think Sisley), labels on the back of collars (DKNY, for example) and jean pockets are now venues for showcasing logos. Diesel had made a name for itself with its Diesel Industry tabs, stylish back pockets and its elongated "D." These days, denim designers from Paper Denim, 7 For All Mankind, Adriano Goldschmied and Citizens of Humanity keep jeans a veritable contest of back pocket imagery.

Of course, some designers bypass the need to find clever locations for their signature icons by covering the entire product with repeated imprints. Coach purses have pairs of C's, Gucci has strings of G's and Louis Vuitton products are covered by the LV monogram. Burberry managed to transform a tartan design into a fashion icon while Chanel's interlocking C's now exist in pastel colors as plastic decorations for belts and jewelry. Instead of just using logos to tag products, these designers are utilizing their icons to decorate and define. The logo itself may not be particularly striking, but it acquires symbolic authority when linked to a designer or brand name with a history of making stylish products.

So how seriously should we take all this designer logo-ing? A logo can represent a brand name and guarantee a certain quality of the product. But the truth is that it can never represent style itself, which is an aesthetic and individual concept that cannot be achieved solely through brand name familiarity.

Share and discuss “What's in a (brand) name?” on social media.