Third installment of Scary Movie just plain scary

Do you laugh at black jokes? Gay jokes? Handicapped jokes? Priest jokes? How about necrophilia? We gave up long ago on being politically correct. It's just no fun. Scary Movie 3 tries to toe the line, but tries a little too hard. It's tacky, feebleminded and simply devoid of taste.

Charlie Sheen, clinging to his Hot Shot days, stars as a former clergyman-slash-farmer à la Mel Gibson. Meanwhile, veteran Anna Faris takes a third turn as newcaster Cindy Campbell--this time channeling the spirit of Cindy Brady, down to the haircut and cutesy lisp.

Scary Movie 3 is a hybrid parody of Signs, 8 Mile, The Sixth Sense, The Matrix, The Ring, Independence Day and The Others. It spoofs all the requisite clichés, adds plenty of boob jokes, toilet humor and crotch-kicking and milks a few laughs for all they're worth. Clocking in at a paltry eighty-five minutes, Scary Movie 3 ends just in time. Any longer and we'd be drooling facedown in our Junior Mints. The sole redeeming feature was a brilliant scene involving President Leslie Nielsen and a set of Mother Teresa bobblehead dolls.

You don't often find a truly impaired comedy, but Scary Movie 3 is just that. It's like the "Saturday Night Live" skit that doesn't quite fly but just keeps dragging on... and on... and on. Call me an elitist, but the mindless guffawing of my fellow theater-goers was disturbing. Why do we let these people vote? The Governator knows.

Share and discuss “Third installment of Scary Movie just plain scary” on social media.