News Briefs

Dual degree program in divinity and social work to be offered

The divinity school and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's School of Social Work will offer a dual degree program that will allow students to earn two masters degrees in four years, officials of both schools announced Oct. 15.

Gregory Jones, dean of the divinity school, said graduates will be fully qualified social workers, ministers or can function as a combination. "This preparation will provide graduates with a more holistic vision and will make them highly attractive to employers in tight economic times," he said.

Students may enter the program at either university beginning in the fall 2004 semester. Graduates of the dual degree program will receive a master of social work degree from Carolina and a master of divinity degree from Duke. Previously, it would have taken five years for a student to earn both degrees.

Front access to Teer and Hudson shut down

The front entrances to the Teer Building and Hudson Hall will be closed for three months beginning Nov. 1 while a steam pipe is being installed as part of the construction of the Center for Interdisciplinary Engineering, Mathematics and Applied Sciences.

Pedestrian traffic will be rerouted down the Levine Science Research Center steps and onto a newly created sidewalk. Students, employees and visitors may enter Teer through the student lounge on the first floor and may access Hudson either through Teer or through the west entrance of Hudson.

"This will be an inconvenience for all of us," wrote Dean of the Pratt School of Engineering Kristina Johnson in an e-mail to the Pratt community. "Construction projects are never easy but at least we can look forward to a wonderful new facility in just nine months."

Duke Press books win African American awards

Two Duke University Press books, including one by Dean of Humanities and Social Sciences Karla Holloway, received 2003 Hurston/Wright Legacy Awards, which honor writers of African descent.

First prize in the non-fiction category went to Forgotten Readers: Recovering the Lost History of African American Literary Societies, by New York University assistant professor of English Elizabeth McHenry. Holloway's Passed On: African American Mourning Stories was a finalist for the non-fiction prize. Both books were published under the John Hope Franklin Center imprint and were edited by Ken Wissoker, editor-in-chief of Duke Press.

Passed On, which also won the 2002 Eugene M. Kayden Book Award, deals with the death of Holloway's son and examines bereavement, death, dying and burial in 20th-century African American culture.

Share and discuss “News Briefs” on social media.