Letter to the Editor: 'Quiet hours' proposal is absurd

Residence Life and Housing Services Director Eddie Hull's proposed revisions to the "quiet hours" policy is completely absurd.

Perhaps Hull has forgotten that Duke is a university that young adults attend, not a geriatrics home. Understandably so, excessive noise in a dorm can be rather annoying; however, this problem can simply be resolved by asking one's neighbor to quiet down or by going to one's RA. After all, despite the recent trends of being ultra-sensitive at Duke, I have a feeling that there is no minority of "loud" students who would take this action of quieting down as an affront on their "right" to be loud. As for those who complain of excessive noise in their dormitory, rather than taking the easy way out and blaming the noise problem on a fraternity, why not simply walk to the library?

Blaming not being able to study for an exam on excessive noise in one's dorm is like not going to school because of a bad hair day... shut up, put on a hat and go to class. That is to say, if you have a loud neighbor and you're too afraid to say something to him/her or are worried about offending them by consulting your RA, walk to the library.

Marc Munfa

Trinity '06

Share and discuss “Letter to the Editor: 'Quiet hours' proposal is absurd” on social media.