Letter to the Editor: Mulicultural center already exists

When is the Duke community going to realize that the greatest cultural center has already been created but is currently not utilized to its full potential?  

The Bryan Center is the University's best way of getting people from different social groups to come together, hang out and exchange ideas. However, the Bryan Center fails miserably as a student union, especially when compared to other schools. Aside from a few eating areas, the only social spaces are the two rooms on the second floor, both of which have dilapidated TV's.  The only change to the Bryan Center that has happened in the past three years is the addition of a pool table--one that blocks the view of one of the TV's. The new Student Village doesn't need to be composed of grandiose plans that will only be realized three or four years down the road. What it needs is a little bit more social space for students to take a break between classes. It would benefit from having the amenities like those in the WEL's McClendon Tower. Wouldn't it be nice to have Grace's where DSG is, pool tables in where the art gallery is, or a giant recreational center in place of the Office of Student Activities? Once we actually have a student union, members of different backgrounds will interact and actually be able learn about each other.

Kumar Sukhdeo

Trinity '04

Share and discuss “Letter to the Editor: Mulicultural center already exists” on social media.