Janangelo, Duke storm to title

The women's golf team continued a flawless fall this weekend, winning its third consecutive tournament, the Stanford/Pepsi Intercollegiate, shooting a school-record three-day total of 845.

Beginning the day with a narrow one-stroke lead over Washington, the eventual runner-up, the Blue Devils shot 286 Sunday to win by five strokes on the Stanford Golf Course.

"The victory feels really good because there was a lot of good golf being played out there this weekend," said head coach Dan Brooks, commenting on the tournament's strong field.

Sophomore Liz Janangelo was the tournament co-champion after firing rounds of 68 and 67 on Friday and Saturday, respectively, but struggling a bit Sunday, finishing the final 18 holes in 74 strokes. Arizona's Erica Blasberg beat Janangelo by four strokes on Sunday to capture co-medalist honors.

"I am really hitting the ball well right now and getting birdie opportunities," Janangelo said. "I didn't putt very well, but I am hitting the ball close to the hole on my approach shots."

Freshman Anna Grzebien's four-under-par career-best performance on Sunday was instrumental in the Blue Devil's victory. After shooting a pair of 75's Friday and Saturday, Grzebien was very pleased with her final round showing.

"I hit a lot of approach shots today within 15 feet and was able to take advantage of the par fives," Grzebien said. "I didn't putt well in the first two days and finally was able to make some putts today."

Unlike Grzebien, Virada Nirapathpongporn was consistent throughout the weekend. Notching rounds of 69, 71 and 71, the senior and reigning U.S. Amateur champion finished in fourth position, two strokes behind Grzebien and Blasberg. This weekend's performance was the third consecutive top-10 finish for Nirapathpongporn.

Fellow senior Leigh Anne Hardin continued her solid early-season play, finishing the 56 hole event in a four-way tie for 11th. Hardin fired her best round of the tournament on Friday with a 69. The senior carded a pair of one-over-par rounds on Saturday and Sunday.

Besides a second round 67, freshman Brittany Lang struggled on the 6,168-yard Stanford University course. She opened the event with a 76 and shot a 77 on Sunday.

After Duke and Washington, UCLA took third place followed by California and New Mexico. Led by Blasberg, Arizona finished sixth.

The Blue Devils do not have long to rest before traveling to Sandestin Resort, Florida for the ACC/SEC Challenge this coming weekend at the Raven Club. There the team will try to continue its streak of seven straight rounds of even par or better.

"As a team, we are settling in and getting in the grove of things," Janangelo said. "We are all confident in our games and it is showing with the scores we are throwing out there."

Share and discuss “Janangelo, Duke storm to title” on social media.