Durham co-op opens to some points users

The Chronicle

Vegetarian and vegan students at Duke who participate in Dining Plan V are now able to pay for vegetarian and vegan-friendly foods at the Durham Food Co-Op using food points or FLEX.

Initiated in October 2002, this new option is available to students who feel that their nutritional needs are not fully met by a combination of on-campus dining locations and the Merchants on Points program. Wells Eddelman, a financial manager at the Co-Op, said the program is now fully functional.

"Everything seems to be working very smoothly," Eddelman said of the efforts to set up a DukeCard reader at the grocery store located on W. Chapel Hill Street. He added that over 100 Duke undergraduates are now able to use their food points at the vegetarian- and vegan-conscious establishment.

When a similar agreement with Whole Foods was attempted last year, difficulties surfaced due to the "for-profit" nature of the chain store. Director of Dining Services Jim Wulforst explained that the tax exempt status of food points made relations between Duke Dining Services and Whole Foods complicated and strained.

The Durham Food Co-Op, on the other hand, is a non-profit organization that is not required to charge tax on food purchases, so an association between the grocery store and the points program made the process much easier.

The integration of the Co-Op into Plan V also seemed logical because students who participate in Plan V were previously familiar with the local grocer.

"I think students will benefit from this relationship," said Lindsay Paluska, the vegan and vegetarian specialist of the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee last year, who served as the student liaison between Duke Dining and the Co-Op.

Plan V participants agreed that the new venture will help them toward fulfilling their nutritional needs.

Kelly Farrell, a sophomore and Plan V member, said she is impressed with the variety of vegetarian and vegan products that the Co-Op offers.

"It's really exciting because they have a real variety," Farrell said.

"I've been cooking a lot for the dorm using their good, quality ingredients." Dan Wiley, a junior and another Plan V participant, said he appreciates the new opportunity to shop at the Co-Op.

"It allows me to eat more cheaply, and they carry fresh fruit and vegetables that are not available at Uncle Harry's."

Some Plan V members said the program is a good opportunity to interact with the local community.

Students not involved with Plan V said they do not feel they are the victims of favoritism, even though the recent actions only benefit Plan V participants.

"Duke offers a good variety of foods for my interests," said sophomore Edwin Zhao. "I don't have any interest in shopping at the Co-Op due to my satisfaction with the current situation."

Jason James, also a sophomore who participates in the standard meal plan, said he is not as satisfied with Zhao about what Dining Services offers, but feels he is in a better situation than vegetarians and vegans with respect to on-campus dining opportunities, and he is "sympathetic toward" vegetarian and vegan students who are trying to fulfill their nutritional needs.

Share and discuss “Durham co-op opens to some points users” on social media.