Duke recruits check all options with new coach

Three recruits who have given verbal commitments to play football at Duke starting in the 2004 season have spent the days following the firing of head coach Carl Franks reconsidering their options.

All three have spoken by phone to interim head coach Ted Roof, according to Rivals.com. Outside linebacker Justin Boyle spoke Monday night with Roof, who was a major factor in Boyle's initial decision to commit to Duke.

"He said everything is going to be all right, and he has the support of the University," Boyle said. "He thinks that there will be a good chance he will be there to coach next season if he can get a couple of wins."

Boyle also said that he has begun to look at other schools, but that he would reaffirm his commitment to Duke if the school hired a nationally-respected coach with whom he felt comfortable.

After Duke was blown out by Florida State Sept. 27, Boyle began thinking about playing football at a school other than Duke. When Boyle committed to the Blue Devils this past summer, he did so based on the school's academic standing and the prospects for an improved football program.

Because the team has not shown the expected improvement, the 6-foot-2 Georgia native is currently considering South Carolina, the school where his father John lettered in football, Auburn and Arkansas, neither of which has offered him a scholarship.

Boyle was not shocked when he received news of the head coaching change at Duke Sunday night. Hearing the 42-0 halftime score against Wake Forest while visiting South Carolina this weekend, he thought a change could be imminent.

Ultimately, Boyle said his decision to honor his verbal commitment to the Duke football program rests heavily on the Blue Devils' head coaching situation and on the scholarship offers he receives from other schools.

The two other Blue Devil recruits who also gave verbal commitments to the program have reasserted, at least publicly, their intentions to attend Duke.

"I am committed," Zach Smith, a 5-foot-11 cornerback, told Rivals.com. "I have always dreamt of playing for Duke, and while I would have liked to have played for Coach Franks, I still want to play for Duke."

Like Smith, offensive tackle Jonathan Terry confirmed he will matriculate at Duke.

"I still plan on going to Duke," Terry told The Chronicle.

Yet, for these high school seniors who were considering taking the field at Duke, the uncertainty surrounding the head coaching position could encourage them to drop the Blue Devils down on their respective lists.

Terry's fellow high school standout Andreas Platt, who has not committed to attend Duke, but was considering the school, may now be more hesitant to play for the Blue Devils.

"I am still trying to get Andreas Platt to go with me, but I cannot tell which way is leaning," Terry told Rivals.com.

Recruits have until April 1st to make their final decision, although many high schools seniors will sign their national letters of intent on February 4th.

Share and discuss “Duke recruits check all options with new coach” on social media.