Column: Start the conversation

If it were up to me, I'd drop this Sigma Chi thing. I swear. To be honest, I had never heard of Sigma Chi before this entire incident, but at this point, I've had enough. However, there are those who refuse to let the issue rest. So, here's the deal. One more article, and I promise that this is it. The last you will hear from me about "Viva Mexico." Let's get it on.

Apparently, I've been going about this all wrong. Over the past year, I've asked, I've requested, I've even strongly suggested. Why didn't anyone tell me all I had to do was demand? The answer to all our problems lay in simply demanding. Maybe Larry would listen to the rest of us if we just demanded.

Demands will not solve the problem of insensitivity on this campus. Demands are the exact opposite of discussion. Demands, in fact, are the act of a terrorist. (How soon before these same "community members" demand an apology from me for referring to them as terrorists? Or maybe terrorists will demand their own cultural center!) What these "community members" are doing is holding our school hostage. Duke University does not owe these people anything. I place fault in Dean Sue, Larry, even Nan, for anything I can find justification for, but how is the Administration responsible for the party theme of a fraternity?

Apparently the school will respond to these demands very soon. I, however, believe that in no way should these demands be acknowledged. Everyone knows that it is not in your best interest to negotiate with terrorists. The only appropriate response to this sort of crisis? Jack Bauer.

But in all honesty, these demands, even if taken seriously, are not in the best interest of this school. This all started because people were offended by the Sigma Chi party. If the purpose of this controversy is to stop what these people deem blatant disregard for minorities, then how does a Native American studies program solve that? This school does not even have enough Native Americans to fill up a single class. (Less than quarter a percent of the total student population--that's less than .0025). These studies programs, as well as cultural centers, while important, promote the individual group, and thus make this school that much more segregated. It's more about the me, and not the us. These demands are all about not offending people. The real answer would be solutions that instead of limiting conversation, actually attempt start it.

For instance, how many people know that for a liquor to be called Tequila, it must be produced in Mexico. Agave, whose fermented sap Tequila is produced from, is indigenous to the country. Archeologists say that Agave has been cultivated for at least 9,000 years. Many consider Tequila the only product that truly identifies Mexican culture. Hell, a shot of Petrone, one of the finest tequilas, is more than 15 bucks in many bars. That's not a joke. I wonder how many of the people who protested Sigma Chi, or even the members of Sigma Chi themselves, knew that.

Every stereotype of greek life at this school involves alcohol. If people truly believe that sororities and fraternities go hand in hand with alcohol, then isn't Tequila a great starting point of discussions between two groups? For a bunch of supposed intellectual future leaders of our country, how can we get along with the world if we can't even find the common ground to get along with ourselves?

Some people have argued that Duke as a whole does not understand the situation of these minorities. Well you know what? We all have situations. Where is the "My dad left us for a 21 year old" studies department? Or the "I'm from the North, life in North Carolina is too slow for me" cultural center? There isn't one, and you don't hear any of those people complaining. I'm not insensitive. I just believe that there are double standards, and while some are understandable considering this country's history, the groups on this campus are beginning to abuse those double standards.

Take this fall break. Go home, go visit other schools, take a break from Duke. Hopefully come next Wednesday, we can have new issues to discuss, instead of green cards and toilets. We may even have new Asian American, Latino and Native American cultural centers. Less than .0025 of our undergrad population will use the Native American center, but hey, it's been demanded.

Tal Hirshberg is a Trinity senior. His column appears every other Thursday.

Share and discuss “Column: Start the conversation” on social media.