Arts: Gallery hopping through Chapel Hill

Whether you've been inspired by the artistic efforts of your neighbors across the hall, finally realized that Friday night on the Duke social scene no longer exists or just want to light up a Cuba Libre in a sculpture garden, tread no farther than Chapel Hill.

Home to a surprising number of artists and collectors, the Chapel Hill gallery scene has recently grown into an eclectic art lover's mecca. On the second Friday of every month, Chapel Hill and Carrboro host the 2nd Friday Art Walk. A variety of local galleries open their doors from 6-9 p.m. with refreshments and even live music, as the public is free to view art everywhere ranging from local North Carolina artists to hand-blown martini glasses and Warhol lithographs. Intrepid Recess Arts editors Julia Fryett and Meghan Valerio donned their shades, renewed their Triangle visas and ventured down 15-501 to sample a collection of the offerings.

Caffe Driade, 1215A E. Franklin St., Chapel Hill

Nestled in a wooded enclave off Franklin Street, this elusive café is difficult to find. But the search turned out to be well worth the effort. Caffe Driade is indeed a café, and they put just as much emphasis on the java, exotic ales and wine as they do on the photography and sculptures. Step inside, order a drink or even a cigar, and take in some svelte black-and-white scenes from Europe. Though the café is small, there is an abundance of seating options outside in the fabulous sculpture garden. During this month's Art Walk, the compositional rock band Mojo Hand will perform from 8-11 p.m.

Somerhill Gallery, 3 Eastgate, E. Franklin St., Chapel Hill

Somerhill Gallery is not involved in the Art Walk, but it is well worth the visit. The wide range of artistic mediums and styles showcase a variety of glassware, paintings, jewelry and photography. The gallery even offers framing for your new purchase. A separated space in the back currently houses new works by sculptor Mark Chatterly. One of the largest galleries in Chapel Hill, it has a number of options fit for a student budget.

Sizl Gallery, 405-A E. Main St., Carrboro

The Sizl's smashing red exterior is hard to miss, and houses modern fine art as well as home furnishings. The current show, "Motion and Emotion," concludes Oct. 9 and features figurative art by Murry Handler and glazed oil paintings by Alan Stewart. Sizl also has a hot collection of Asian-inspired lamps, perfect for the apartment.

Tyndall Galleries, University Mall, Chapel Hill

Showing Southeastern artists with a focus on Triangle talent, the Tyndall Galleries is an open and bright space that could easily be mistaken as intimidating. Never fear: the friendly curators will happily offer you information and the calm environment means you can take in the art at your leisure. The current show features whimsical and colorful new paintings by Jane Filer, with a reception this Sunday from 2-5 p.m.

Animation and Fine Art, University Mall, Chapel Hill

The Animation and Fine Art Gallery first caught our attention due to its bizarre window display: a Matisse lithograph strategically placed next to a framed and signed Michael Jordan UNC jersey, with the caption, "Jordan, Michael. Mixed media. Price on request." Intrigued, we entered the glass doors to bathe in the neon lights and marvel at Cézannes and Picassos. The owner explained that the Animation Gallery will actually be separate from the Fine Art Gallery once the space next door is completed. Mall atmosphere aside, this gallery is not to be missed.

Share and discuss “Arts: Gallery hopping through Chapel Hill” on social media.