Paulus to announce choice at noon

Greg Paulus, one of the nation's top junior point guards, will announce his college decision at a noon press conference Tuesday.

�Paulus' announcement will end a recruiting battle involving some of the biggest names in college basketball. The 6-foot-1 star is expected to choose between Duke, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Xavier.

�The Manlius, N.Y. native, averaged 24.5 ppg and 6.5 apg as a sophomore for Christian Brothers Academy. He has already scored 1,305 points in his high school career and is considered one of the nation's top point guard prospects for the class of 2005.

�"Greg is very sound, he's very unselfish, [and] he sees the floor better than anybody I've ever coached," Christian Brothers Academy head basketball coach John Wleklinski said in an interview last week. "A lot of the things Greg does right now are talents and abilities that you wouldn't normally see in a junior-to-be."

�Also a top quarterback, Paulus has already broken the New York state touchdown pass record and has garnered offers from some of the nation's top football programs, including Georgia, Alabama, Florida State, and Miami (FL). He has indicated, however, that his primary sport would be basketball in college.

�"[Paulus'] expectations are to be the starting point guard at whatever school he goes to," Paulus' father Dave said Saturday afternoon. "His first love is basketball."

�According to Wleklinski, Paulus came to his decision came over the weekend.

�"We figured it would be a short period of time," Wleklinski said. "It was just whenever he felt comfortable. He's comfortable in his decision; he's excited about his decision; he just wants to do it now and move on."

�Though he is only a high school junior, Paulus has remained very level-headed during the recruiting process.

�The two-sport star has received over 50 offers from schools in basketball and football, including the nation's top programs in both sports.

�"[Paulus] has been in a very unique position to go to any school in the country that he wanted," Paulus' father Dave said in a telephone interview with the Chronicle Monday night. He also expressed that the Paulus family had been very impressed with all schools involved in Paulus' recruitment.

�"Greg would like to thank all the people who have been involved in all the schools with him," Paulus said. "We have been fortunate to have met a lot of good people [throughout the recruiting process]. Everything has been first-class."

Share and discuss “Paulus to announce choice at noon” on social media.