Duke in sole possession of second place

Duke's men's golf team captured sole possession of second place after the second round of play at the 2003 Topy Cup yesterday at the Tanagura Country Club in Tanagura, Japan.

In addition, two Duke players, Mike Castleforte (72-70=142) and Nate Smith (71-71=142), are in fourth place and five shots off the lead in the individual competition.

"We have not played our best, but we have played pretty solid," Castleforte said in a telephone interview from the team's hotel in Japan. "We have a chance to win in our first tournament, so that is always a plus."

After compiling a two-round score of 579--three over par--the Blue Devils now trail Tohoku Fukushi by 12 shots, and lead Arkansas and Japan-based Nihon by six and nine shots, respectively.

Duke was in a tie for second place with Nihon and one shot off the first day's leaders, the Razorbacks. The Blue Devils separated themselves yesterday at the par 72, 7,086-yard Tanagura course, however, on the strength of Castleforte's and Smith's strong play. The final round will be played today.

The Duke players and coaches were both pleased and optimistic about the team's chances and play thus far, said Castleforte and Smith. The Blue Devils were enjoying their experience in Japan and coming together as a team, the two said.

And while many players were enjoying the cuisine Japan had to offer, others were eating less than usual, Smith said. Smith added: "They [the Japanese] are definitely a little smaller, and not that many of them speak English. But they are so nice. Even the people who don't speak English try to speak English with you. It's been great being here."

At the tournament's conclusion, the team will head to Tokyo, where it will see the sights and experience Japan's capital for three days before heading home.

Share and discuss “Duke in sole possession of second place” on social media.