Crime Briefs

Textbooks thieved
A student reported that at 10:30 a.m. Aug. 27, he left his $90 Evidence textbook, $40 Problems in Evidence textbook and two textbooks with unknown titles valued at $85 in the School of Law library carrel 2C16 while he attended class and lunch. When he returned at 1:30 p.m. his items were gone.

In a separate incident, a student reported that he ordered some textbooks sometime during the first week of August. The books, valued at $209, arrived during the second week of August. They were placed in the mailroom located on the third floor of Perkins Library. When he went to pick up the books Aug. 24, they were missing.

Knife pulled on employee
An employee reported that around 11 p.m. Aug. 21, the Durham emergency medical service transported a patient directly into the Emergency Department. The employee said that he and the patient were involved in a verbal confrontation. The patient reached into his pocket and pulled out a knife, but did not expose the blade. The patient was subdued and the knife confiscated.

Car windows broken, items taken
One employee and one student reported that between 11 a.m. and 5:45 p.m. Aug. 26, while their vehicles were parked on Pettigrew Street in front of the Lynhurst House, someone broke out windows valued at $600. The perpetrator or perpetrators then stole a $20 pocketbook containing a $20 wallet, $50 in cash, credit cards, a JVC car stereo, and one $40 EasyPass for toll booths.

Cash grabbed
An employee reported that between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 12:50 p.m. Aug. 25, she left her unsecured purse, containing $8 in cash in an employee work area at 2200 Duke Hospital North. When she returned, the cash was missing.

Car scratched
A visitor reported that she arrived at the Emergency Department around 8:30 a.m. Aug. 25 for Valet Parking Services. When she returned around 12:10 p.m. Aug. 25, she noticed several scratches on the left rear side of her vehicle.

Window, door damaged
It was reported to Duke Police that between 5 p.m. Aug. 25 and 1:15 p.m. Aug. 26, someone damaged a window and interior door in Southgate Dormitory near the 201 stairway. Damage was estimated at $200.

Radio, video game disappear
The daughter of a patient who was discharged from the Hospital on Aug. 12 reported that her father left his $25 Sony walkman radio and $25 Brickman handheld video game in a room at 8100 Duke North. A search for the property has not been successful.

Share and discuss “Crime Briefs” on social media.