Arts: Art of our time

When Tom Newby was a bachelor, his apartment was decorated with Sports Illustrated photos. In an attempt to upgrade his décor, he visited an art gallery in New York City and forked over $75 for two framed Picasso and Segal posters, and proudly displayed them on his wall. But soon posters gave way to prints, and Newby's love of art grew from there. Twenty-five years later, Newby has lent his impressive collection of hot contemporary artwork to be displayed at DUMA's "Art Stars" exhibit.

His love for art began when he was a Duke undergraduate. "I took a survey course in the Art History department at Duke. This became my first formal introduction to art other than museum visits as a child," he said, explaining that twentieth century art was of particular interest to him. "[Contemporary art] is what it's all about. It is art of our time."

Newby stresses the importance of the modern style and enjoys acquiring art from younger, newer artists. He explained his technique is to purchase art before the artists become so well-known that their work is virtually inaccessible and prohibitively expensive. This attainment strategy has enabled him to focus on artists with a growing national and international reputation.

As a collector, Newby's other priorities include accessibility. "I look for art that can go in a home," he said. Still, he recognizes the vague absurdity of this statement as some of the pieces on display are so large that they could really only fit into a very large home. Others are so avant garde or risqué that one can hardly imagine mounting them above the family fireplace. Yet Newby clarifies that he is specifically interested in "serious" modern art that is visually arresting, if not decorative. He acknowledges that his art is a reflection of his particular taste.

Newby's collection has been built gradually--he purchases two to three pieces a year. "Collecting art has been very rewarding," he said. "It is something that really enhances the quality of your life as you get to know more and more about the work and about the artist. You certainly can start small and work your way up."

His advice to aspiring collectors is to spend ample time looking before purchasing. "I try to buy the best pieces I can. I'm happier when I buy quality, and I make fewer mistakes. What is important is to look, look, look. Do not buy art as investment. Buy it because you love it."

There will be a reception Friday, Sept. 19 at 5:30 followed by a discussion with Tom Newby at 6:00 at the Duke University Museum of Art. The Tom and Charlotte Newby Collection is on exhibit through Feb. 1, 2004.

Share and discuss “Arts: Art of our time” on social media.