Planning your social life, Recess-style

Back in the day it was easy to make plans. "West" was the buzzword, and that's where it all went down. These days, the hottest parties seem to be happening off-campus. And that's where we come in. Because the rich fabric of the Durham nightlife scene is surely worth a year of good times, we at Recess are proud to offer our very own Durham nightlife weekly plan. Drink specials, live music, drink specials--Durham's got it. Seven nights a week, all over the Bull City, all kinds of fun. So if the media room in the WEL doesn't make your Sunday-Saturday schedule, share in ours. And bring your ID.

Sunday

The newest addition to the Durham scene is a small New York style club on 9th Street called "9." Partnered with the new Bakus Tapas and Wine Bar, 9 is the breakout choice for Sunday nights thanks to its penny beers from 5-9. That's right, four fabulous hours of $.01 beers--just pay the $9 cover and you're in. And it's even over before "Sex and the City" comes on.

Monday

Ah, George's. The perennial 9th Street favorite is still as good as ever. George's Garage drink specials make appearances nightly, and the bar is wide-open and ripe for fun times. We're recommending George's for its Monday Martini Madness. They're fierce and fiery when it comes to IDing, and the 8 foot tall "Big George" keeps the underage kids away, but it's always a good time and a good crowd over at the Garage.

Tuesday

Tuesday rocks. Seriously. You've got a few options. First, Bully's Basement. Every Tuesday the basement (literally) has the hottest piano in town, with a pianist who takes requests for most any classic rock song out there. Pool tables, frat guys and a relaxed atmosphere await you at this Broad Street dive--and drink specials that are hard to beat. On Tuesdays before 10 o'clock beers go for 5 cents--and go up to $1 after ten. Not bad at all.

For the academics out there--and you are one of them, admit it--we present the pub quiz at the James Joyce. The world-renowned Modernist Irish author is long dead (sorry ladies), but the good times are still going strong at this pubby Main Street hangout. You don't have to be Ulysses to conquer the quiz--trivia night's a great time that attracts all kinds of Dukies. Our word of warning: get there early. This place fills up like a leprechaun on Lucky Charms.

Wednesday

Wednesday night is Recess production. We don't go out. But we do recognize that not everyone whores himself to the campus arts and entertainment magazine and may want to spend a Wednesday night out. With this in mind, we're recommending a chill Wednesday night at Devine's. Come basketball season there's hardly a better place to sit back, have a drink and get rowdy. Live music is a common feature here. Even our Versace-inspired senior editor Whitney Beckett recommends the burgers. She and the Stylefaxer might be schmoozing in the back booth. Now that's Devine.

Across town you've got another chill Wednesday hangout. Some will call it a biker bar, but at Recess we just call it Charlie's. This 9th Street sports bar is infamous for its unpredictable leather-loving crowd, but don't let that deter you from having a good time late into the night. The patio out front makes for a breezy, relaxed Wednesday night that attracts a lot of Dukies; inside, hang out with your friends at the bar-in-the-round or at a table. And don't be afraid to make friends.

Thursday

I can't get no... Satisfaction. Oh, but you can. Another hyper-crowded Durham hangout is this Brightleaf Square veteran where Duke pride is flaunted all over the walls. $1 beers keep them coming back every Thursday; this place has been required drinking for Duke students for years. Tired of beer? Pizzas are abundant, tasty and easy to share. For the sophisticates among you, the boys at Delta Sig are renting out Parizade's every other Thursday beginning September 4th. The large, vivacious atmosphere is a perfect match for the "I don't take Friday classes" attitude that invades this stylish place every other week. Out back you've got a waterfall-twinkling light-elegant patio--the perfect spot for a scintillating conversation with your Delta Sig lover. Or not.

Friday

Congrats on making it through the week. How about celebrating with a change of pace? For that we offer Boxer's-Ringside in downtown Durham. Now I know what you're thinking. And you're right, this isn't your typical Duke college scene. But they've got some outstanding live music on the weekends and some hardcore dancing, and sometimes it's good to escape. Here's to experimentation. And if you're tired of the crowds, Vin Rouge on 9th Street makes for the perfect Friday night getaway. Provincial French cooking and a classic, stately bar facilitate a jovial time with friends. The bar's got an excellent wine selection, and the martinis make the grade, too. Our fave? It's gotta be the Metropolitan. French fun without the attitude? Vive Le Durham!

Saturday

Finally, date night. That special night when you take your special someone out for a magical evening of romance and gentile courting. Ha. Seriously though, Saturdays can be excellent. And if you want to make it an affair to remember, consider a trip to the Bull Durham Lounge at the Washington Duke Inn. Surprisingly affordable ($2.75 for a beer) and all on points (free), the Bull Durham is a fantastic alternative to the mainstream Durham fare. Look nice, don't talk too loudly and don't get angry when they include a 19 percent service charge.

Lastly, Saturday night in Spanish translates to "noche de sabado." But "tequila" is universal. And that's the ultimate lesson to take home from a night at Torrero's. The big bar makes for a great start to any evening. Margaritas by the pitcher ($16) make every Saturday a fiesta. Can't communicate with the wait staff? Just smile and keep sipping your drink; when the bill comes, they know what to do. --

Share and discuss “Planning your social life, Recess-style” on social media.