Crime Briefs

Fight at Hospital requires police assistance

Duke Police officers responded to a fight in progress in the Emergency Department driveway at 10:10 p.m. Aug. 18. Upon arrival, the fight had ended and the parties involved were separated. According to witnesses, who wished to remain anonymous, a visitor approached an employee and was very abusive. The employee was offended by this, and a heated verbal exchange occurred. After the verbal exchange ended, the visitor attempted to leave the Hospital by way of Emergency Department drive.

The employee followed the visitor and more words were exchanged, resulting in the visitor being struck by the employee. The visitor did not need medical attention. The employee and the visitor were trespassed from Duke.

Laptop nabbed from unlocked dorm room

A student reported that between 11:15 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. Aug. 20, she left her Edens Dormitory 2A room unsecured and someone stole her $2,000 blue and gray Hewlett Packard laptop computer.

Purse, electronic devices taken from LSRC

Two employees reported that between 11:30 a.m. and 2:23 p.m. Aug. 18, someone entered their unsecured office in the Levine Science Research Center and stole a $100 purse that contained a $20 wallet, credit cards, $7 in cash and a driver's license. Additional items stolen were a $75 Sony portable compact disc player and an $895 Olympus digital camera in a blue case.

Attempted break-in at Sanford causes damage

An employee reported that between 8 a.m. and 8:45 a.m. Aug. 18, someone attempted to break into his office on the second floor of the Sanford Institute of Public Policy. There were pry marks on the door and the lock does not function properly. Total damage is estimated at $100.

Employee harassed over phone

An employee reported that on Aug. 20, she received harassing phone calls to her work phone in Human Genetics Building.

Wallet stolen

An employee reported that between 10:30 a.m. and 4:50 a.m. Aug. 20, someone entered her office located in the CARL Building and stole her $20 wallet, which contained a checkbook, checkbook cover, Social Security card, her children's Social Security cards and her driver's license.

Laptop taken from locked trunk

A student reported that between 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. Aug. 19, someone entered the trunk of his secured vehicle and stole his $1,899 Compaq laptop computer, serial number 1V06FL47HDSM, model number 12XL125, from 202 Alexander Ave.

Spraypainting damages vehicle

An employee reported Aug. 19 that during the time her vehicle was parked in the GH parking lot on Yearby and Flowers Drive, someone spraypainted the passenger's side door with red paint, causing $700 in damage.

Purses pilfered

Two Diet and Fitness employees reported that between noon and 1:30 p.m. Aug. 19, someone stole their purses from under their desks. One employee's $20 purse contained her $15 wallet, $30 in cash, credit cards, her $150 Nextel cellular phone, her keys, her Social Security card and her driver's license. The other employee's purse was also valued at $20 and contained her $15 wallet, $3 in cash, credit cards and a Trek cell phone valued at $100.

Headlight smashed in parking lot

An employee reported that between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. Aug. 15, her vehicle was parked in the H parking lot in the Medical Center. During that time someone broke her headlight, causing $128 in damage.

Bike, bag, helmet grabbed

An employee reported that between 4:30 p.m. Aug. 17 and 5 p.m. Aug. 15, while her bicycle was secured to the bike rack at the Bryan Research Building, someone cut her cable lock and stole her $150 Breakpoint mountain bike, which had blue tape on the handlebars and a black bag on the back. Her $5 helmet was also stolen.

Share and discuss “Crime Briefs” on social media.