Because when fall comes you have to look good

As you are reading this riveting and questionably self-serving story, I am in New York doing my favorite thing in the world--shopping. More specifically, I am shopping for the wonderful fall designs that are most impossible to find in either Durham or elsewhere in Middle America. On my to-get list are the fashions I consider most Duke-friendly from this season's sadly less-than-spectacular line, and I, clocking in philanthropy hours for the summer, will share what I have garnished from devoted readings of Vogue and Bazaar.

Top Ten

1. Stewart Weitzman or Marc Jacobs patent leather pumps. The shiny, pointy classics will look smart under slim jeans and slacks or cutting edge and mod with colorful opaques and short skirts. That said....

2. Opaque tights. Lots of them and lots of exciting colors, from black and white to red and even hot pink. I'm terrible about running hose, so I will probably buy them cheap and in bulk at Express.

3. Marc by Marc Jacobs mini dress and mini skirt. The affordable way to buy Marc Jacobs' fall mod look. They are done to look retro and futuristic at the same time. In the meantime, I will be doing extra running (plus relying on said opaque hose) to tone the tops of my legs that these looks unforgivingly reveal.

4. Crocodile leather gloves. I should have been born in the 60s--I so love the prim look of a tailored lady in gloves, pumps and a little hat. Have you seen Down With Love? That should have been me. But in the meantime, I am adopting the signature look of this fall, elegant gloves, and praying they last into spring. The crocodile look is also huge, so as an econ major, I am efficiently killing two birds with one purchase.

5. A short black leather coat. Not as biker-style as Ralph Lauren has been showing, but I like the look, the idea of pairing it with high-waisted proper black pants, Diesel jeans or even a long evening gown. It's very this year but also a good investment piece that you can keep forever if you buy quality.

6. Red lip gloss. I'm an Estée Lauder loyalist and am positively obsessed with their super-shiny (albeit super-sticky) lip vinyls.

7. Men's ties. I plan to use and abuse these as belts so I will not be spending much on each one, but I do plan to get several. If I remember correctly, Ross Dress for Less has Polo ties for about $15 each, so I will get a couple to tie tie-style around my hips or maybe even pull an Avril Lavigne.

8. Tweed pants. To complete the menswear look for fall. Both Laundry and Theory pants tend to have this class look.

9. A beautiful corset or corset dress. Versace was the one truly beautiful fall line and I plan to pay homage by buying a far less-expensive knockoff (though I do prefer the term Versace-inspired). I love the elegant ribbons that differ this look from the corsets two years ago.

10. The Bag. With capitals because it has become my lust object this summer. The black version of the hugely popular white but colorfully monogrammed LV bag of last spring. I'm on the wait list in Vegas and have literally been sending my sales attendant flowers. Here' s hoping.

Share and discuss “Because when fall comes you have to look good” on social media.