Top women's recruits visit Duke today

After netting the No. 1 recruiting classes in the nation in 2002 and 2003, the women's basketball program looks to add to its impressive streak when two of the top rising high school seniors visit Duke today.

Alexis Hornbuckle, a 5-foot-11 guard from Charleston, W.Va., and Tasha Humphrey, a 6-foot-2 forward from Gainesville, Ga., are ranked as the No. 2 and No. 3 prospects, respectively, by the Blue Star Girls Report.

Hornbuckle, named to the Parade All-America First Team last season, averaged 21 points, 10 rebounds, six assists, five steals and four blocks per game as a junior at South Charleston High School. She transferred to South Charleston after leading nearby Capital High School to consecutive state titles as a freshman and sophomore.

"I love Duke's team and Coach G.," Hornbuckle said. "But Duke's also a really good school academically. 'Education first,' that's what my dad always said."

Joining Hornbuckle in Durham is Humphrey, a very close friend whose accomplishments at Gainesville High School are equally impressive.

Like Hornbuckle, Humphrey was a First-Team Parade All American as a junior, and her gaudy statistics - 21 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists per game - reflect the versatility of style and ability in her game.

"If I were to come to Duke, I could bring a lot of options to the team because I can play a lot of positions," Humphrey said. "I also really love the campus, atmosphere, coaching staff and players."

Academics will weigh heavily on Humphrey's choice of schools, and she relishes the idea of getting a degree from Duke.

"I want to be an anesthesiologist," she said. "If I were to graduate from Duke, I feel like I'd be set for getting into good medical schools."

Both Hornbuckle and Humphrey have narrowed their choice of schools to Duke and Tennessee. The two superstars have known each other for three years and hope to land with the same program.

Whichever school wins their services will likely have the top-rated recruiting class, and as of now the Blue Devils may have the edge.

"Right now, I'm leaning toward Duke," Humphrey said.

"But Alexis and I are going to wait a while to make our decision."

Share and discuss “Top women's recruits visit Duke today” on social media.