Currie's health progressing steadily after ACL tear

More than seven months after tearing her anterior cruciate ligament in the team's first exhibition game last November, women's basketball player Monique Currie is recovering slowly but steadily.

"It's been so long since I've been out there and I just want to play so badly," Currie said. "The knee still gets sore after I work out a lot, but it's encouraging to know that it's getting better."

Currie had one of the most successful campaigns ever for a Blue Devil freshman in 2001-2002, finishing second in points scored (502) and fourth in free throws made (138) on Duke's all-time lists for first-year players. Her 14.2 points and 6.1 rebounds per game earned her All-ACC freshman status and second-team All-ACC honors.

Currie was expected to be an integral part of the 2002-2003 pre-season No. 1 Blue Devil squad, but those hopes were shattered just five seconds after the opening tip against the Premier Players club.

Currie's left knee buckled as she planted to shoot a lay-up, and a subsequent MRI revealed a tear in her ACL.

"It hurt a lot for just a split second when I went down," she said. "But then I couldn't get up or walk."

Since that injury, the red-shirt sophomore has been following an ambitious rehabilitation program designed to have her 100 percent healthy by next season.

Currie's physical therapy initially involved regaining basic strength and range of motion in the knee.

This summer, though, she is finally able to participate in more intense activity. She lifts and participates in conditioning drills with team members four days a week and gets specialized therapy twice a week.

Despite her progress, the 6-foot guard/forward is still unable to take part in five-on-five scrimmages but should be ready for competition by the end of the summer."

Curried has received immense support from teammate Caitlin Howe, who understands the pain of ACL injuries as well as anyone. Howe is currently recovering from her third tear in as many years.

"I talk to Caitlin a lot and see her at rehab all the time," Currie said. "She just knows some of the things that I'm going through and has been really supportive and positive."

The Blue Devils certainly hope that their versatile star will be ready for fall practice, but, unfortunately for Currie, her injury will prevent her from joining teammates Alana Beard and Iciss Tillis this summer on the national team squads.

Beard is playing for the USA World Championship for Young Women team and Tillis was selected for the Pan American Games roster.

Currie, who played on the USA Basketball Junior World Championship team prior to her freshman year at Duke and may return to the squad next summer, will be rooting for Beard and Tillis despite the pangs of jealousy.

"I really wanted to be able to play for the USA teams," Currie said. "I had a lot of fun two years ago at the World Championships. Of course I'm happy for Iciss and Alana, but I really wish that I could be playing with them."

Share and discuss “Currie's health progressing steadily after ACL tear” on social media.