Road to national title goes through No. 10 Tribe

Beginning today in Gainesville, Fla., the No. 3 women's tennis team (28-2) will look to build toward the only title that has eluded them in the program's history--the national championship.

The first roadblock comes in the round of 16 against a considerable opponent, No. 10 William and Mary (25-5). No. 30 Candice Fuchs, No. 73 Megan Muth and No. 112 Amy Wei and the No. 12 pairing of Fuchs and Kate Boomershine lead the Tribe.

"William and Mary is a very good team," said seventh-year Duke head coach Jamie Ashworth, a recent winner of the ITA East Region Coach of the Year Award. "They are obviously playing well as they have won 14 of their last 15 and we have won 12 a row also. Once you get to the round of 16, everyone you play is going to be good."

The increased level of competition is not anything new to the 2003 Blue Devils who won the USTA/ITA National Team Indoor Championship in the fall. The win was the program's first ever in the tournament, the most prolific compilation of women's teams other than the NCAA Championships.

Perhaps the key to Duke's success then and now is its top player, sophomore Kelly McCain. The 5-foot-2 baseliner became Duke's fourth-ever individual national champion in women's tennis when she claimed the title at the ITA Riviera All-American tournament in October. In November, McCain advanced to the semifinals of the Omni Indoors before succumbing.

Her success equates to a 33-2 ledger throughout the fall and spring seasons, and has earned her a No. 2 national ranking. This will be McCain's last chance at a national title, however, as she has decided to take her game to the professional level at the conclusion of the NCAA tournament. McCain will participate in her first professional event June 7 in Allentown, Pa. But Before she leaves, McCain wants to wrap up some unfinished business and bring the NCAA trophy to Durham.

Share and discuss “Road to national title goes through No. 10 Tribe” on social media.