Krzyzewski nets $1.3M, highest pay

After a one-year stint away from the top of the payroll, men's basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski reclaimed the fattest University paycheck in the 2001-02 fiscal year.

According to the University's Internal Revenue Service 990 tax forms, Krzyzewski received a total compensation of $1,326,933 - more than twice what he received in 2000-01.

Krzyzewski replaced Dr. Ralph Snyderman, Health System CEO, as the highest paid Duke employee. In the previous year, Snyderman received the greatest total compensation package with $1,156,277, followed by Sallie Shupping-Russell, a former investment manager at Duke University Management Co., and Krzyzewski.

While Snyderman's salary increased from $448,456 to $456,228 in the fiscal year ending in 2002, Krzyzewski's made an even greater leap from $589,300 to $742,683. In addition to his base salary, Krzyzewski received $519,218 for his expense account and other allowances and $65,032 in his employee benefit plan.

John Burness, senior vice president for public affairs and government relations, declined to go into details regarding increases in Krzyzewski's salary and total compensation, noting only that the coach's total compensation was part of his contractual agreement.

"The other allowances can cover a wide range of things," Burness said. "In most cases, it's part of a contractual agreement at the time an individual is hired, or when his contract was renewed."

The 2001-02 tax forms are the first filed after Krzyzewski signed a lifetime contract of undisclosed terms with the University in Nov. 2001.

Despite Snyderman's slight salary increase, his total compensation dropped to $956,057 in the 2001-02 fiscal year, due to a smaller amount given for his expense account and other allowances. Still, the DUHS chief received a sum of $444,994 for other allowances in 2001-02, making him the second highest paid employee at the University.

According to Burness, Snyderman was not the only one with a large account for expenses and other allowances. Many employees at the Duke University Medical Center saw increases in 2001-02 for other allowances-a category that includes partial housing allowances, compensation for travel expenses and any other forms of compensation beyond salary and normal fringe benefits, Burness said.

In the 2000-01 fiscal year, for example, Snyderman received over $674,000 outside his salary and employee benefit plan. This sum was the result of both an old real estate loan that was forgiven by the Executive Board of the Board of Trustees and of incentives granted by a compensation committee in the Health System.

Rounding out a list of the 10 highest paid employees at the University for the 2001-02 fiscal year were DUMAC President Thruston Morton, Medical School Dean Dr. Sandy Williams, Executive Vice President and COO of DUHS William Donelan, DUMAC Vice President for Asset Management Eugene McDonald, Vice Dean of Administration and Finance Gordon Williams, President Nan Keohane, James B. Duke Professor in the Fuqua School of Business Robert Winkler and Executive Vice President Tallman Trask.

The University ended the 2001-02 fiscal year with net assets of $4.331 billion, down from $4.437 billion in the 2000-01 fiscal year. DUHS ended with $788.5 million, down from $852.5 million in the 2000-01 fiscal year.

Share and discuss “Krzyzewski nets $1.3M, highest pay” on social media.