Baseball wins in first round of ACCs

In the opening match-up of the 2003 ACC baseball tournament, the Blue Devils upperclassmen held their own while the freshmen put up big numbers as Maryland (20-33, 6-17 in the ACC) did not stand a chance against a fired up Duke team.

The underdogs were victorious in Salem, Va., as Duke (17-34, 2-21) swept by the Terrapins 5-3 to advance to the second round in the tournament.

"We're in the tournament now," Blue Devils head coach Bill Hillier said. "Hopefully we can take advantage of this opportunity and create some havoc."

After losing two out of a three game series to Maryland earlier in the regular season, Duke's offense opened the tournament with a fervor. In a spectacular two out rally in the third inning, the Blue Devils scored four out of their five runs on four singles and two outfield errors. Brian Patrick, who picked up a single with one out left, scored on a single by Troy Caradonna.

Caradonna and Tim Layden scored after the inning's third single by freshmen John Berger who scored Duke's fourth and final run for the inning off a single by the designated hitter Brian Hernandez. Berger was the Blue Devil's big guns. He knocked in Layden in the fifth inning with a single and went 2-for-4 in the game with three RBIs.

The Terps struggled defensively behind senior pitcher Steve Schmoll, who walked six, which surpassed his regular season high. Schmoll was relieved in the fifth by Chris Clem who gave up only two hits and struck out four batters. But Duke's offense had already created a commanding five run lead that would give them enough of a point spread to maintain a comfortable lead.

While the Blue Devils continued to drive runners around the bases, Maryland struggled to get around senior pitcher Jeff Alleva (4-7). Alleva completed nine innings striking out six and gave up merely one walk. The Terps began to get into a groove in the seventh inning but they offered too little too late. Justin Maxwell scored on a triple from

Jason Maxey blasted a two run home run in the ninth but the damage had been done and Maryland's tournament play came to a close.

Duke takes on Florida State (47-8-1) in the next round. FSU recently swept the Blue Devils in a homestand played in Durham last weekend.

Share and discuss “Baseball wins in first round of ACCs” on social media.