TRENDS: Staples of Our Fashion Diet

Love it or hate it, Duke style is all around you. Whether you crave the polished look of your preppy peers or pop the Gothic bubble with a penchant for punk rock, you can still find inspiration all around Duke's campus. And even if you think that style is an attitude instead of a well-stocked closet, you can still appreciate the stuff that gives Duke its unique look. Here's the master list of the clothes and accessories that Trends has spotted, again and again:

The Tote Bag

Anyone who thinks French imports are losing the American market needs to come check out West Campus. Dueling for dominance on well-stressed shoulders are Herve Chapelier's hideously two-toned creations (somehow ugly and cool all at once), and its sometime successor, the Longchamps tote. Trailing behind the French are American makes like L.L. Bean and some local sacks saying "Duke University" or the name of a sorority.

The Hoodie

Even before Natalie Portman sported her hoodie to that Hamptons polo match, Dukies were zipping up in style. From Lacoste's pastel version to J.Crew Gym's thermal translation, hoodies hit up parties, slouch in class and serve as great butt-covers when you're lunching on the quad.

The Tiffany Bracelet

Q: How do you know a Duke girl's coming?

A: You hear her jewelry from a mile away.

Whether it's Property of Tiffany and Co. or simply sporting a silver heart, the Tiffany bracelet has traveled from prep schools and sweet 16 parties to the land of the Blue Devil. Also available in a necklace, the Tiffany bracelet is fun to jangle and matches everything from gym clothes to formal dresses.

The Bootcut Jeans

Gap, Earl, Seven, Paper, Abercrombie, Levis, Lucky, whatever. Blue jeans have been hot since the 1800s and they're not losing steam now. Paired with flip flops, sneakers, loafers or heels, you can't go wrong with the ubiquitous charm of denim.

The Polo

Some people like the horse (Polo). Some people like the alligator (Lacoste). Some people even head to Urban Outfitters, where they've got unicorns. Whatever animal you fancy, you've probably got one of these collared classics kicking around somewhere. Pair it with a denim skirt if you feel so spring, or khakis for that Breakfast Club feel, and extra props for messy hair, 'cause then you'll be "alternative."

The Catholic Schoolgirl Skirt

Surely, we all did not play field hockey in 10th grade. But sure enough, as soon as a section party decides it wants to celebrate its favorite apostles - Coors, Bud, Corona and Heineken - these skirts come out from every corner. Match them with a black bra and open blouse for maximum sin potential, and make sure to shake your ass since everyone will be watching.

The Flip Flop

They're easy, they go with everything and they slide off easier than underwear after a fraternity formal. Even if we won't find a soul-mate at Duke, we've got our sole mates, and they're named Teva, Reef, Roxy or Crew, J. Crew.

The Duke Tee

Housing sucks, parties are dying and drinking a beer is becoming harder than getting a fake ID. But somehow, we're still true to our school. Fashions come and go, but the Duke tee is here to stay, and even after we graduate, our closets will still shine with a little Duke Blue.

• Faran Krentcil

Share and discuss “TRENDS: Staples of Our Fashion Diet” on social media.