Redick cleared in incident

Men's basketball star J.J. Redick has been exonerated of any wrongdoing following a drug-related incident that occurred April 1 of this year, Redick's father said this weekend. Additionally, he said, the freshman from Roanoke, Va., has not been punished by either Duke University or the men's basketball program

"I think the judicial board, based upon an occurrence, an event, did an investigation," said Ken Redick Sunday night.

The event to which his father referred took place April 1 in Blackwell Dormitory. According to a Duke police report, a resident adviser reported to the police that he smelled marijuana in the building.

Upon arriving, the police discovered a "very strong smell of marijuana" in the halls, and "after checking several of the rooms negative for the smell," they entered the room where Redick and four other individuals were present. The report described the students as having "red, glossy eyes and a strong smell of marijuana about their person." In explaining the situation, Ken Redick told The Herald-Sun at Durham that his son had not participated in whatever activity was occurring in the room. He told the newspaper that his son had initially left the room to use the restroom, but then had returned to the room to check his e-mail before finally leaving the premises.

Following the incident, the police did not file charges against any of the students. Rather, they gave each student a warning and forwarded the police report to the judicial affairs office.

"He was requested to make a statement that explained what happened that night, and it was submitted to the dean of student affairs," Ken Redick told The Herald-Sun. "Then he met one-on-one with the dean of student affairs."

Ken Redick said his son had learned a great deal from the situation.

"He made an error in judgment, which was being in a room where someone was smoking dope," Ken Redick told The Herald-Sun. "He recognizes that he made an error by not just getting up and leaving."

He added Sunday evening that his son is now doing his best to move forward and is doing "great" now that he has been cleared of all wrongdoing in the matter.

Share and discuss “Redick cleared in incident” on social media.