No. 5 women's tennis destroys Demon Deacons, 7-0

The fifth-ranked women's tennis team beat a depleted Wake Forest squad in Winston-Salem 7-0 Wednesday night, claiming the doubles point and sweeping all six singles matches in convincing fashion.

The Demon Deacons (3-19, 1-5 in the ACC), who were without injured third-singles player Aimee Smith, had only five players available for action against the Blue Devils (21-2, 6-0) and were forced to default a doubles and a singles match.

The lost doubles point cost Wake Forest a chance to start the match off with the overall lead, as the unranked duo of Katie Martzolf and Danielle Schwartz upset No. 10 Kelly McCain and Hillary Adams 8-4.

However, Duke captured the second doubles match when No. 60 Katie Granson and Julia Smith defeated Karin Coeyzee and Sandie Knight 8-6.

With only one player remaining on their active roster, the Demon Deacons had to concede the third slot and fell behind 1-0.

"We were working on being aggressive and working on communication in doubles play," head coach Jamie Ashworth said.

After the tightly contested doubles matches, Duke breezed through its singles slate, losing only one set en route to the conference victory.

Perhaps the most encouraging performance of the night came from fifth singles player Katie Blaszak, who returned to play after an extended layoff due to an ankle injury.

Blaszak - who had several key wins for the Blue Devils earlier in the season - routed Schwartz 6-1, 6-0 to put Duke up 4-0 and clinch the team win.

"It was my first match back, so I worked on the basics," Blaszak said. "I was trying to hit the right shot. I went for the smart shots, and I think I did well."

Duke's top three singles players also came away with quick wins, losing a total of only eight games combined. No. 98 Julie DeRoo defeated Wake Forest's Elizabeth Proctor 6-0, 6-2 at the third slot; No. 18 Amanda Johnson cruised 6-2, 6-4 at second singles; and No. 3 Kelly McCain did not lose a game in her 6-0, 6-0 victory at the top spot.

"I'm aiming to hit my forehand a little better and work on my serve," said McCain, who was named the ACC Co-Player of the Week and has already won the ITA singles national championship this past fall. "I'm looking at trying to win Nationals, but that's a long way off and I don't want to get ahead of myself."

The only close match of the day came at the fourth singles slot, where Hillary Adams needed a third set tiebreak to come away with the 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 victory.

Duke - which holds a 144-2 ledger in conference play dating back to 1989 - returns to action Saturday in a match at Clemson.

Share and discuss “No. 5 women's tennis destroys Demon Deacons, 7-0” on social media.