No. 1 women's golf, Janangelo win Liz Murphey classic

At a time of the year when most duffers are dusting off their clubs and starting to think about tee times, the women's golf team had pulled down two victories already going into this past weekend. The reigning national champions brought that number to three this weekend, with a convincing win in the Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic in Athens, Ga.

The top-ranked Blue Devils shot a three-day total of 876, including a tournament-best round of 288 Sunday. Duke beat its nearest competitor, the Buckeyes of Ohio State, by 11 strokes.

"[These teams] really [were] the best of the East; none of the west coast teams were there, but it was a top field," head coach Dan Brooks said.

Duke also distinguished itself individually, as freshman superstar Liz Janangelo took home the individual title. Janangelo shot par in the tournament's opening day, but followed it up with two consecutive rounds of 69, to finish up with a 210 for the tournament. This total equaled the best of her young college career in which more than a third of her rounds ended up at par or below.

"Individually, I knew I was playing well going in [to the tournament]," Janangelo said. "I was looking to place highly, if not to win."

Janangelo's final round started off at breakneck pace, with the Conn., native shooting a phenomenal 31 on the front nine before slowing down with a 39 for the tournament's last nine holes.

"I think my success is due to my staying patient and believing in myself," Janangelo said.

Brooks cited improved conditions for his teams' success, and was thankful that winter rules had been lifted.

"The fairways were reasonable and the greens were good," said Brooks. "[Liz's] putts haven't been falling as we have been playing on some pretty rough greens. Finally the putter started to work, and she was able to post some good numbers this weekend."

The rest of the Blue Devils posted some impressive totals as well. Virada Nirapathpongporn pulled out an eighth place finish with a total of 220, and Leigh Anne Hardin nailed down a 222 for 12 place.

Share and discuss “No. 1 women's golf, Janangelo win Liz Murphey classic” on social media.