Men's Tennis routs Wolfpack 7-0

The eighth-ranked men's tennis team took the short drive to Raleigh yesterday afternoon to face conference rival North Carolina State, hoping for a competitive match. The Wolfpack, however, mustered up little resistance to the Blue Devils, now winners of 54-straight conference matches.

The two sides opened play with three doubles matches. Duke's top duo of Phillip King and Michael Yani lived up to their billing as the No. 8 tandem in the nation, thrashing their Wolfpack opponents 8-2.

The Blue Devils quickly secured the doubles point as No. 3 partnership of Jonathan Stokke and Peter Shults took out N.C. State's Chris Mills and Will Shaw 8-1.

Two-of-three is all that is necessary to win the doubles point, but the pairing of Ludovic Walter and Jason Zimmerman won 8-6, closing out doubles play.

Duke also encountered smooth sailing in singles competition. Yani, playing at No. 2 singles, and No. 6 Stephen Rozycki both coasted to 6-1, 6-0 victories, setting the early tone of dominance.

King and Stokke quickly followed suit, sealing the win for the Blue Devils. King, currently the nation's 24th-ranked singles competitor, took out the Wolfpack's R.J. Murray 6-4. 6-2. Stokke needed an extra game to put away Jon Davis 6-4, 6-3.

Share and discuss “Men's Tennis routs Wolfpack 7-0” on social media.