Letters: 'Unholy obsession' with Counting Crows must end

I believe I am not only speaking for myself and Duke's entire rock-fan contingent, but also for any self-respecting music listener, when I say that the unholy obsession with Counting Crows playing at Duke has to stop. As a member of Campus Council for the past two years, I have heard this rusty old band's name dropped as a potential headlining act for Last Day of Classes as well as this year's ill-fated attempt for a Cameron concert, and the lingering public interest in Counting Crows confounds me. Besides the several obsessed fans on campus, whom I urge to quickly reform their ways, who else knows any other song by this band besides their early-90's hit "Mr. Jones"?

You do not see my metal minions and I lobbying to bring Slayer to campus to kill John Mayer with sonic brutality because I understand that death metal is not relevant for wholesale consumption at our university. Additionally, and perhaps more closely related, I understand that we all yearn for the "Old Duke," but you don't hear anyone pandering for Collective Soul or Fishbone - both played at Duke in their heyday - because their days are over no matter how much I or anyone might enjoy their music.

Although the masses can never be entirely pleased, the Union need not rehash some boring, whiny then-modern rock to satiate a few fans while the rest of us are subject to a merely palatable, overpaid product. If we want relics, we might as well bargain hard for ones whose music is well-known to all and can be heard in frat sections, Shooters invites, hard rock shows and hip-hop samples. Yes, my Blue Devils, I am talking about AC/DC.

Share and discuss “Letters: 'Unholy obsession' with Counting Crows must end” on social media.