FILM: Schnaars' Top Performances

Sometimes I feel like time in Hollywood works like dog years; every year, five years worth of crap makes its way to our local theaters. Maybe this is just hopeless pessimism due to the post-Oscar, pre-summer-blockbuster blues but, looking back, several actors and actresses took the opportunity this past year to swan dive their careers into the realm of mediocrity previously inhabited only by Norm MacDonald and Jerry O'Connell.

That being said, this past year also saw the return of some big names and the rise of new faces. So, in the name of positivity over pettiness, let's focus on those:

Of this year's silver screen splashes, Daniel Day-Lewis' may have been the most yapped about. Returning from a five-year retirement/sabbatical to join Martin Scorsese on the set of Gangs of New York, Lewis gave one of the best performances of the year as the electric and irrepressible Bill Cutting. The brutally wicked yet honest portrayal garnered attention from critics and fans alike and earned Lewis his third Best Actor nomination and his first in 10 years.

Less talked about, but of equal note was the return of Claire Danes. The one time star of My So-Called Life made her first appearance in over two years with Igby Goes Down - an indie, coming-of-age new classic. She followed that up with a small but powerful role alongside Meryl Streep in The Hours. Thankfully, Danes looks to be back for good as she is co-starring with everyone's (not-so) favorite Schwarzenegger in the upcoming Terminator rehash.

While both of these returns were impressive, it would be hard to argue that any actor had a more successful year than John C. Reilly. A long-time mainstay in supporting roles and P. T. Anderson films, Reilly had always demonstrated his abundance of talent, but he had yet to make a real breakthrough - until this year. Appearing in four films, three of which were Best Picture nominations, Reilly also received his first Oscar nod in the Best Supporting Actor category.

These three actors are what make movies worth seeing. And they provide some much needed shelter from the Jerry O'Connell's of the world.

• Jon Schnaars

Share and discuss “FILM: Schnaars' Top Performances” on social media.