Women's golf returns to No. 1

In the first week of the fall last year, the reigning national champion women's golf team visited reigning worldwide terrorist-cleanser George W. Bush at the White House, though neither seemed to make its promised dramatic push to defend themselves the rest of the season. But spring has sprung, and just as the President pushes to war, Duke has likewise begun to protect its status as No. 1 in the land.

The Blue Devils invaded Humacao, P.R., this weekend and captured the Lady Puerto Rico Classic title by 29 strokes to begin its spring season with a regime change, fighting its way past other evil-doers from No. 5 to grab the nation's top ranking.

"We certainly didn't intend on winning by 29 shots after the winter we've had," head coach Dan Brooks said. "We're very excited about the win. In fact, I'm more excited about some other things that I'm seeing in the individual players' development."

Senior Kristina Engstrom certainly impressed with her own version of Operation Enduring Freedom, as the culmination of her steadfast fall came at the Palmas Del Mar Country Club Saturday when she squeaked by Tulsa's Susie Fisher, South Carolina's Kristy McPherson and Florida's Aimee Cho by three strokes en route to the individual title.

"I just worked on my swing and the compactness in my swing to get back to that time where I've been comfortable before," said Engstrom, whose final-round 71 on the par-72 course left her with a career-best 215 total in leading Duke back up the polls in convincing fashion.

Indeed, the Blue Devils finished first in a talented field in each of three rounds, and only a bit of a hiccup on the putting greens during Saturday's final round kept them from distancing themselves from the field even further.

Still, Duke ended its raid on the Caribbean with a season-best 872 (291-288-293) and finished more than 100 strokes better than last-place Wisconsin to extend its streak of spring tournament wins to eight - a far cry from the fall version of this team, a group that took only one tournament victory.

"We were a little surprised that the other teams shot as high as they did," Brooks said. "But I'm very happy with everybody's understanding of what needs attention. We weren't as good a ball-striking team in the fall as we wanted to be, and now it looks like we're on the right track."

Reigning national individual champion Virada Nirapathpongporn continued to right her title defense by jumping out with two under-par rounds Friday to nab the individual lead before slipping to fifth overall with a 78 Saturday. Nirapathpongporn, one of four Duke golfers to place in the top ten in a field of 75, didn't hit her stride until late in the fall season, but now has shot below par in four of her last five rounds.

"She's been working really hard, like the whole team," Brooks said. "She didn't quite play up to her standard the last day, but mentally she was strong through the whole tournament."

The Blue Devils will look to keep the front strong when the troops head north to Blythewood, S.C. for the Lady Gamecock Classic March 14.

Share and discuss “Women's golf returns to No. 1” on social media.