Tech embarrasses Lobos in front of home crowd

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- The New Mexico-Texas Tech women's basketball game was a hard fought, evenly played game for all but the last 7:44 in the game. During that stretch, the Lady Raiders out-scored the Lobos 18-0. Senior forward Plenette Pierson scored 16 points and pulled down eight rebounds to lead Texas Tech to a 71-48 victory over the University of New Mexico and its 16,000 fans.

Although the Lobos never led in the game, they were able to tighten Texas Tech's advantage to 18-16 after Abbie Letz nailed a turnaround jumper with 9:32 left in the first half. Unfortunately for New Mexico, its star 6-foot-4 center, Jordan Adams, was sent to the bench after committing her second foul moments later.

"She went out and we had no offense," University of New Mexico head coach Don Flanagan said. "Looking back, if I had to do it over again, I would have played her. But it's been our policy to sit players when they have two fouls. It came back to bite us."

The Lady Raiders quickly took advantage, with Natalie Ritchie downing a three-pointer and Casey Jackson scoring on a baseline drive. Lobo Mandi Moore, desperately trying to keep her team in the game, connected on a three-pointer of her own with 7:44 in the half to make the score 23-19.

The Lobos would not score again in the first half, though the Lady Raiders had no such trouble finding points. Six players scored during the 18-0 run, led by Jia Perkins' six. Twelve of the 18 unanswered points were scored in the paint to give Texas Tech a 41-19 lead at intermission.

"It was huge," Texas Tech head coach Marsha Sharp said of the 18-0 run. "When you're on the road and you get someone down, the most important thing is you can't let them get back."

The Lady Raiders' defense smothered New Mexico during the run, as the Lobos missed 11 straight shots--including several air balls--and committed four turnovers.

"When you're in an environment that is a little hostile, you have to [win] with your defense," Marsha said.

Though playing a much more effective style of play in the second half, New Mexico was unable to shrink the lead to less than 16. Adams led the way, scoring 18 in the final half compared to only a pair of points in the disastrous first half.

"Our confidence was down. We had to come together as a team and we didn't do it," New Mexico's Chelsea Grear said. "We were missing that spark in our eyes in the beginning of the game."

Although disappointed with the loss, the Lobos, who defeated the University of Miami (Fl) and Mississippi State to get to their first Sweet 16, were happy just to be playing in the game.

"We didn't play our best game, but we got great experience," Flanagan said.

Moore was the only other bright spot for New Mexico, scoring 14 points. The rest of the New Mexico starters combined for only eight points. Still, the team kept things in perspective.

"I felt like we had a great season," Flanagan said. "We got terrific senior leadership. I don't feel like we have any reason to be down."

Joylee Ayers and Jia Perkins each scored 12 points to help Texas Tech reach its fourth Elite Eight, its first since 2000. The Lady Raiders won their first and only national championship in 1993.

Texas Tech will take on Duke University at 9:30 p.m. in the Pit in Albuquerque Monday night for the right to go to the Final Four.

Share and discuss “Tech embarrasses Lobos in front of home crowd” on social media.