Humphrey breaks record, Duke places 8th at ACCs

The Duke Blue Devils competed well but finished in eight place in the ACC Men's Swimming and Diving Championships and the University of North Carolina's Koury Natatorium. The University of Virginia dominated the three day meet posting a score of 780 on route to its fifth consecutive victory in this event.

Florida State edged out host school UNC for second position with 567 and 555.5 points respectively. The Blue Devils scored 140.5 points.

Despite not placing well in the meet, a number of Blue Devils swam to individual records in the season ending event.

In the 200 individual medley, John Humphrey broke his own school record when he recorded a time of 1:50.57 in the preliminary heat. The sophomore swam a half-second slower in the finals to finish in 12th position and headline the Blue Devil's effort in the first day of competition.

Humphrey's contribution to the Blue Devils effort did not end after the individual medley as he set a career-best time of 1:51.25 in the preliminaries of the 200-yard butterfly. He went on to record a 15th-place finish in that event with his teammate Teddy Helfers taking 22nd, also setting a personal best time.

The Blue Devils had success in the 400-yard individual medley event on Friday. Humphrey was once again the top finisher for the Blue Devils in 11th place. Helfers, Justin Ward and Patrick Winters also qualified for the finals.

Andy Storm, after being disqualified from the preliminary heat of the 100-yard breaststroke for an illegal dolphin kick on his push off, used the disappointment to power him to a strong performance in the 200-yard breaststroke on the following day.

"That was a little discouraging but I got to use that as fuel for my 200 breast stroke on Saturday," Storm said.

After getting off to a slow start in his finals heat, the freshman completed the fastest final length of his heat and posted a time of 2:02.98, good for 10th place.

In the same 200-yard breaststroke event, Ben Rowland, Justin Ward and Kevin Ko all qualified for the finals but finished 18th, 19th and 22nd, respectively.

In the diving portion of the competition sophomore Tim Hyer was the Blue Devils top finisher in both the one meter and three meter platform events.

In the competitions first day, Hyer dove to 11th on the one meter. Saturday, diving from the three-meter platform, Hyer finished in 15th position.

"I think the team was content," Storm said. "Everyone was able to swim their own races. I think most people reached their goals."

Share and discuss “Humphrey breaks record, Duke places 8th at ACCs” on social media.