Delta Sig holds benefit for Jésica's Hope Chest

When many greek groups plan a philanthropic event, they first brainstorm the social activity and then find the organization that will receive its proceeds. However, for Delta Sigma Phi fraternity's charity event tonight, the process was the reverse. Delta Sig is sponsoring an event tonight at Spice Street in Chapel Hill to benefit Jésica's Hope Chest, Inc., a foundation for critically ill children that was first established to finance Jésica Santillán's heart transplant. Despite the controversy surrounding Santillán's resulting botched transplant and subsequent death at Duke Hospital, Jésica's Hope Chest remains committed to helping other underprivileged families pay for uncovered medical costs, financing transportation and housing expenses at remote hospitals, and subsidizing the purchase of equipment for the patients' extended care. Brett Green, incoming president of the Interfraternity Council and current social chair of Delta Sig, said Santillán's critical situation while she was still alive - and the considerable news coverage surrounding her care - spurred his interest in finding a way to support her cause financially. "Instead of picking some random charity, we decided to hold the event because of a news event," said Green, a junior. "This time we found a cause, and we picked a reason to have an event because of the cause." Green said he encourages everyone's attendance to support Jésica's Hope Chest, whether or not they are affiliated with a greek organization. Transportation will be provided with buses beginning at 10 p.m. at half-hour intervals from both East and West campuses. Additionally, Durham's Best Cab Company is offering reduced cab fare rates for students attending the event. Each student will need to pay a cover charge of about $5. Green said Delta Sig's sponsorship of this event exemplifies a primary objective he plans to pursue next year as he heads IFC, the main governing body for on-campus fraternities. "One of our goals as the IFC is to take a more active role in the community and improve our image," Green said. "There have been some issues with that."

Share and discuss “Delta Sig holds benefit for Jésica's Hope Chest” on social media.