5 to receive honorary degrees

The University will award honorary degrees during May 11 commencement exercises to United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan; U.S. Navy Admiral Frank "Skip" Bowman; artist, author and feminist Judy Chicago; physician-scientist Dr. Richard Klausner; and dance leader Charles Reinhart, President Nan Keohane announced Wednesday.

Commencement, featuring an address by Annan, will be held at 10 a.m. at Wallace Wade Stadium.

Annan, now in his second term as leader of the U.N., will receive a Doctor of Humane Letters.

Bowman, who began his naval career after graduating from Duke in 1966, is the director of the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program.

A member of the Board of Visitors for the Pratt School of Engineering, Bowman will also be awarded a Doctor of Humane Letters.

Chicago, who will be awarded a Doctor of Fine Arts, pioneered the disciplines of feminist art and art education in the early 1970s.

In fall 2000, she served as an artist in residence at Duke and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Klausner is the executive director of the global health program at the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

A recipient of a Doctor of Medicine degree from Duke, he received the Duke Distinguished Medical Alumnus Award in 1994.

At commencement, he will receive a Doctor of Science.

Reinhart is the president and co-director of the American Dance Festival and vice president of the World Dance Alliance.

He will receive a Doctor of Fine Arts.

Share and discuss “5 to receive honorary degrees” on social media.