CRIME BRIEFS

Students charged with DUI, carrying weapon

At 12:03 a.m. Feb. 16, a Duke University Police Department officer stopped a vehicle on Towerview Road for careless and reckless driving. Subsequent investigation resulted in the driver, Beau Riston Raich, a 22-year-old senior, being charged with DUI, careless and reckless driving and having an open container in his vehicle.

He was transported to the magistrate's office, released into the custody of the Durham County Sheriff's Office and given a March 4 court date.

Levi Karnehm, a 21-year-old junior who was in the vehicle with Raich, was charged with carrying a concealed weapon on campus. He had in his possession a metallic spiked kuboton, a baton-like object. Karnehm was given a March 4 court date.

Neither Raich nor Karnehm could be reached for comment.

Student charged with DUI

At 4:14 a.m. Feb. 16, a Duke officer observed a vehicle make a left turn off Flowers Drive onto Erwin Road where there is a clearly visible sign stating no left turns. The officer conducted a traffic stop. Subsequent investigation resulted in the driver, Robert Graham Reynolds, a junior, being charged with DUI and making an illegal turn. His court date is March 4.

Reynolds could not be reached for comment.

Laptop taken

Someone stole an employee's $2,000 Dell laptop computer from 1527 Duke Hospital North sometime between 8 a.m. Feb. 5 and 2:50 p.m. Feb. 10.

$1,130 in belongings stolen

Two student reported that on Feb. 9, someone entered their unsecured room located in Edens 1B, and stole $50 in cash, a $300 Skagen watch, two $100 CD players, CDs, $30 headphones, and a $650 camera. The victims reported that they had to have the lock changed on their door because of a lost key.

Teenager charged with carrying weapon

On Feb. 15, Amanda Elise Alvarez, 17, of 3506 Four Seasons Dr., was charged with having a concealed weapon in the Emergency Department. She was given a March 17 court date.

Friend accused of stealing

A patient in the Hospital reported that between 8 a.m. and 12:25 p.m. Feb. 10, he awoke and found a friend of his removing $50 from his wallet. His friend could not be located for questioning.

Phone swiped

A student reported that around 6:14 p.m. Feb. 4, while in the Intramural Building, she stepped away from her $500 Sprint Trio cellular phone. When she returned it was gone.

Employee charged with theft

At 6:52 p.m. Feb. 12, a warrant was obtained for Patient Transport Services employee Chad Perry, 21, charging him with stealing $77 in cash from visitors who were visiting a patient on 5100 Duke Hospital North. Perry entered the room which was unoccupied at the time and stole their money, police said.

Perry could not be reached for comment.

CD player taken

Someone broke into a student's vehicle while it was parked at 1914 Lewis St. between 11 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. Feb. 9. A $200 window was broken out and her $250 Kenwood CD player was stolen.

Radio face plate stolen

A student reported that between 7 and 11:30 p.m. Feb. 12, someone broke into his vehicle while it was parked in the Edens B lot. A $150 window was broken out and a $350 detachable radio face plate was stolen.

Gate damaged

An employee reported that sometime between Feb. 9 and Feb. 10, someone caused $300 in damage to the metal parking lot gate at the Duke University Road overflow parking lot.

Gym bag taken

A visitor reported that between 10:45 and 11:08 a.m. Feb. 8, someone broke into her vehicle while it was parked at the Nearly New Shop. A $200 window was broken out and a $20 small denim gym bag containing miscellaneous gym clothes and toiletries valued at $10.

Vehicle damaged

Someone attempted to break into a Duke vehicle while it was parked at 1411 Hull St. sometime between 4:30 p.m. Feb. 13 and 11 a.m. Feb. 14. Approximately $160 in damage was done to the windows.

Possessions pilfered

An employee reported that between 3:55 and 4 p.m. Feb. 11, someone entered 2024 West Main St., Suite 10, and stole her $50 black purse, $60 in cash, checkbook, credit cards, keys and other identification cards.

Belongings taken from lab

An employee reported that between 11 and 11:41 a.m. Feb. 14, someone entered a lab on the fourth floor of the Sands Building and stole her unprotected $50 bright red fanny pack with two side pockets for water, $100 in cash, credit cards, a check and a driver's license.

Cash swiped

A patient in the Emergency Department reported that between 11 p.m. Feb. 9 and 8 a.m. Feb. 10, someone removed $140 cash from wallet.

Crime briefs are compiled from Duke University Police Department reports. Anyone with knowledge about those responsible for these or other crimes at the University can contact Lt. Davis Trimmer at 684-4713 or Durham CrimeStoppers at 683-1200.

Share and discuss “CRIME BRIEFS” on social media.