University Briefs

Medical Center, NSOE hit fund-raising goals

At least two divisions of The Campaign for Duke reached their goals in December: the Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences with $60.29 million (goal of $60 million) and Duke University Medical Center with $600.03 million (goal of $600 million) as of Dec. 27, development officials said.

"We had a great many gifts at the end of the calendar year, and we are still working to be certain we have allocated them properly," Peter Vaughn, director of communications and donor relations for development, wrote in an e-mail. "When we have completed that review, I am relatively certain that at least one, probably two, and perhaps even three more divisions will have done so."

The Law School and Pratt School of Engineering hit their goals in July. The overall capital campaign has already raised $1.97 billion of its goal of $2 billion by this coming December, according to the campaign's website.

Gifts fund construction on new Divinity School addition

Four gifts totaling $3.1 million that will help fund construction of a new addition to Duke University Divinity School were announced last week by President Nan Keohane.

In a press release, Divinity Dean Gregory Jones said construction of the $22 million, 47,000-square-foot addition, previously postponed for six months because an earlier foundation gift fell through, is scheduled to begin in January. The Board of Trustees gave final approval for the project Dec. 6.

The gifts include:

-- $1 million from William and Irene McCutchen, both Trinity '62, of Westport, Conn. Mrs. McCutchen is a member of both the Divinity School's board of visitors and the building advisory committee.

-- $1 million from HCA Foundation, of Nashville, Tenn., to honor Jack Bovender Jr., Trinity '67, chairman and chief executive officer of HCA Inc. Bovender chairs the school's Campaign for Duke committee and is an emeritus member of the board of visitors. He is a 1967 graduate of Duke.

-- $600,000 from J. Rex Fuqua, of Telluride, Colo., president and chief executive officer of Realan Capital Corp. He is a University Trustee and benefactor of the Fuqua School of Business.

-- $500,000 from the Mary G. Stange Charitable Trust in Detroit.

The Divinity School addition will include the 315-seat Goodson Chapel; offices for the Duke Institute on Care at the End of Life, admissions and student services, Duke Chapel music staff and the Divinity School chaplain; classrooms, seminar rooms and a lecture hall seating 177; the Cokesbury bookstore; a preaching and worship lab; a prayer room; and a sacristy.

Garda to lead Fuqua's International Center

Robert Garda, Trinity '61, an executive in residence and marketing faculty member at Duke University's Fuqua School of Business for the last five years, has been appointed director of the school's International Center, Dean Doug Breeden announced this week.

Garda's major roles will be to oversee the center and meet its three main goals. The first is to help students gain an international educational experience through Fuqua's exchange programs and Global Academic Travel Experience courses. The second is to help integrate international students into Fuqua, working with the MBAA International Affairs Council, international clubs and the Summer Institute. He will also manage the international students' orientation.

Prior to Fuqua, Garda was chief executive officer of Nashville-based Aladdin Industries, where he spent time in the three main non-U.S. subsidiaries-Germany, Australia and Brazil. Before Aladdin, he spent 27 years at McKinsey & Company.

Faculty wife, involved community member dies at 99

Suzanne Lindlar Walton, widow of the late French professor Loring Walton, died last week at her home in Durham, just a few weeks shy of her 100th birthday. Walton first came to Duke in 1929, from Princeton University, with her husband.

Like many faculty wives of that era, Walton took an active role in the extracurricular life of the University: founding a German-speaking club, leading the Newcomers' Club and giving lectures on preserving state wildflowers.

She was also a charter member of the Duke Hospital Auxiliary and--a musician herself--worked in Perkins Library as a music cataloguer.

A memorial service is planned for 11 a.m. Saturday at Duke University Chapel. A reception will follow at 2235 Cranford Road.

Value and Ethics in the Marketplace program gets grant

A University program that aims to enlighten undergraduates about the practical and moral issues they may face in the business world received a $1 million grant from the BB&T Charitable Foundation.

The grant will be used to support teaching of business ethics, speakers and conferences, faculty and student grants, and research in the Program on Value and Ethics in the Marketplace. The program is part of the Markets & Management certificate program, Duke's interdisciplinary approach to undergraduate business study.

The BB&T Charitable Foundation, created by Winston-Salem-based BB&T Corp., made a gift of $500,000 to VEM in June 1999.

Meeting canceled

The Arts and Sciences Council meeting scheduled for Jan. 9 has been canceled. The next meeting is scheduled for Feb. 13 in 139 Social Sciences Building.

Can totals announced for holiday food drive

About 33,000 cans of food were donated to the Food Bank of North Carolina through the University. The cans, as well as money to purchase food, were collected during Duke's annual holiday food drive. For the past three years, the University's Facilities Management Department has sponsored the drive.

Sanford professor wins honor for contributions to finance

Helen "Sunny" Ladd, professor of public policy studies and economics and associate director of the Sanford Institute of Public Policy, received the 2002 Steve Gold Award, given annually by the Association of Public Policy Analysis and Management, the National Conference of State Legislatures and the National Tax Association. The award recognizes those who contribute significantly to public financial management in intergovernmental relations, and state and local finance.

Share and discuss “University Briefs” on social media.