Music: Duke's Very Own: Kenin Breaks Out

After three years of relative obscurity, one of Duke's best-kept secrets is poised to break out. This mysterious entity is Kenin, a rock quartet featuring a former Duke student and a current senior that has evolved from a guitar and drums duo into a straightfoward rock 'n' roll group. Heavily influenced by groups such as Guster, Dispatch and O.A.R, Kenin features acoustic guitar chords, varied percussion and conventional lyrics dealing with problems pertaining to college students.

During the release party for their debut CD Saturday night, Kenin played two sets featuring songs off their newest album, Mustache, as well as several cover songs. The release marked a turning point for the band, emerging from the shadows to warm, local recognition.

As Devin McGaughey wandered around campus as a freshman, he had aspirations of forming a group and fulfilling his creative needs. It was not until his second semester that he met Sean Gaiser, Kenin's future lead singer, and embarked on a journey that has led to hundreds of shows in both the D.C. area and in Durham.

Almost immediately after meeting, Gaiser and McGaughey laid down tracks with Gaiser's childhood friend Pat Smolka, who plays guitar and percussion. The addition of bassist Tommy Bullough in January of 2002 altered the band's sound by rounding out the rhythm section. Even though the band uses electric guitar sparingly, Kenin has been unable to distinguish itself from its influences. Its next step in becoming a more diverse group will be adding a dynamic that breaks the typical college rock mold.

At the moment, Kenin is not worried about pursuing a record contract. Instead, they would rather focus on playing shows and building a loyal fan base.

"If you make enough noise and keep expanding, you put yourself in a good position," Gaiser said.

Share and discuss “Music: Duke's Very Own: Kenin Breaks Out” on social media.