The Ingram Interview: Bailey Chase

If you found there to be nothing particularly interesting about yesterday's episode of As the World Turns, you weren't alone. But oh, how unperceptive you must've been! On just another sleepy Wednesday morn, Bailey Chase, Trinity '95, made his debut as "Chris Hughes," the long-running soap opera's newest character. Hughes will appear on the show three or four days a week and is incredibly hot. Super-stodgy Chronicle Editor and closet soap freak Dave Ingram spoke with Chase earlier this week.

Recess: What did you do at Duke to prepare for acting?

Bailey Chase: Not much. I was pretty all-consumed in terms of the things I did with football and class. I was also in a fraternity, and I did a lot of work in the Children's Hospital. Just walking into the room with these kids, they would light up and it would also be lift for me.

Where do you plan to go from here? Will you follow in the footsteps of former ATWT actress Lauryn Hill?

[Laughter] First of all, I can't sing and I can't dance, so Broadway isn't looking too good. [Note: Lauryn Hill is in no way affiliated with Broadway.] When I originally got into the business I dreamt of doing films. That may or not be in the cards. I just signed a three-year contract, so I guess I'll be here for a while.

Your character is described as an "impetuous medical student." Would you want someone operating on you who's known as "impetuous?"

[More laughter] Probably not. Chris is an intern, so I don't know how serious of medical operations he'd be doing at this point. They don't have any written in yet, but if I had choice I'd want the chief of staff.

Your character is a whistleblower: He will be investigating the "Snyder barn fire," earning him "the disapproval of his superiors at the hospital." Are you up to the challenge?

[Note: heavy cliche usage ahead.] Chris acts before he thinks, and in a lot of ways that's admirable. He wears his heart on his sleeve, and that runs him into trouble with the powers that be. He lets the chips fall where they may.

Soap operas tend to have kind of a cult following. Are you doing anything to prepare yourself?

Working on a show like Buffy the Vampire Slayer [which he did recently], that's probably more cultish by definition. CBS handles all my fan mail.

Maybe a bodyguard?

[More laughter. I must be a great interviewer.] Maybe. I found in the past that the Buffy fans were very respectful of my space. They would just be interested in my involvement with the show, and they kept their distance.

There's a photo on your website (below) of you holding up a dog in front of your midsection. Did the photographer get too creative, or is there a story?

I was doing a photo shoot with a friend of mine who is a photographer, and I always wanted some pictures of my dog, who I got in North Carolina when I was at Duke. So we were down in Santa Monica, and I couldn't go in the water with my clothes on....

How does the celebrity party scene compare to what you remember at Duke?

It's night and day. When I was at Duke, we went to Chapel Hill a lot. It was a lot more laid back, with everyone wearing jeans and T-shirts. I heard the Hideaway closed-is that true?

Yes.

Oh. Do you have kegs on campus?

Ah, no.

Yeah, that was really nice because you had kegs right there, and you didn't have to drive anywhere.

Are you ready for the Recess Lightning Round?

What's that?

I'm going to ask questions really quickly.

Oh, sure.

What's your full name?

Bailey Chase Luetgert.

Should Carl Franks be fired or continue as head coach?

Continue.

Who's the biggest celebrity you've slept with?

Next question.

Share and discuss “The Ingram Interview: Bailey Chase” on social media.