Blue Devils host middling Maryland

Coming off an overtime victory over rival North Carolina, No. 1 Duke expects another challenge against a struggling Maryland (8-9, 2-4) squad tonight at 7:00 p.m. in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

"We're looking forward to the game coming up on Thursday with Maryland," head coach Gail Goestenkors said. "I think they are playing excellent basketball as well and we need to be ready because we understand probably more than ever that if we're not ready to play, everybody's going be ready to play against us. We need to make sure that we're always ready and focused."

Although the Blue Devils have struggled of late, Alana Beard and Iciss Tillis have carried the Blue Devils, compiling over 50 percent of the team's points and rebounds in the previous three contests.

Beard, averaging a shade under 25 points pregame, dominated the overtime session to secure Monday's victory over North Carolina. Not to be out done, Tillis scored her 1,000th point for the Blue Devils in last week's victory over Wake Forest and will be honored for her accomplishment prior to today's game.

Even with its stars shining brightly, Duke has struggled at the start of recent games, trailing at halftime in three of its last five. Making up for its mistakes, Duke has improved its shooting percentage by an average of 10 percent in the second half.

"I don't think [we're playing not to lose because we've been behind in every game but maybe that's the point we get to where we're behind and we say 'OK, now we feel like the underdog just a little bit' because we're behind," Goestenkors said. "So now we can just go out and play the way we need to play."

Struggling in nearly all of its halves, Maryland comes off a loss to Virginia by a score of 69-58. It was the second consecutive ACC defeat for the Terrapins.

"We had a tough week," Maryland head coach Brenda Frese said. "This will be the first time [one of my teams] is playing a No. 1 team. That will be our biggest factor against Duke: Not put them at a higher standard or level."

The Terrapins are no push-overs, however, boasting an experienced starting lineup: Maryland starts the game with a pair of seniors and a duo of juniors on the court.

On the perimeter, senior guard Renneika Razor leads the Terps with 16.1 points per game and is the ACC's steals leader. Inside, the Terp's biggest threat is Junior Delvona Oliver. The 6-foot-3 forward is averaging 16 points and seven rebounds per game. Freshmen Angel Ross will also eat up space inside, leading the team in blocks with 15 on the season.

Last season, the Blue Devils were victorious in both matchups with Maryland. Alana Beard fell two assists short of a triple double at Cameron, nailing the Terps with 35 points.

Duke hopes to repeat last years victories against Maryland by not looking ahead to the highly anticipated game against Connecticut Feb. 1.

"I have not done one thing [to prepare for Connecticut]" Goestenkors said. "I can't afford to right now. I've got to focus on what is happening here and now."

Robert Samuel contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils host middling Maryland” on social media.