Women's bball lands blue chipper

Traditionally, Parents Weekend has been designed to impress the families of students already attending the University. Apparently, the 2002 version of this annual event also appealed to some future Blue Devils.

Last week, Duke received verbal commitments from highly touted men's basketball player Luol Deng and women's prospect Brittany Hunter, two of the three recruits to visit campus Oct. 25-27.

Yesterday, Alison Bales made it three-for-Parents Weekend, as the 6-foot-6 center from Dayton, Ohio, joined Hunter as the second member of the women's basketball class of 2007.

"I had a lot of fun when I visited Duke," Bales said. "We went to the men's game and I saw how excited the whole campus gets for basketball season. I also enjoyed getting to know everyone on the team."

After making all of her official visits, Bales narrowed her list of schools to Duke, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Maryland. Ultimately, she chose the Blue Devils because of their merits both on and off the court.

"I think Duke was the best combination of everything for me in terms of both academics and athletics," she said. "I want to win a national championship, and I know I need to play with the best people to do that."

Bales' size will give the Blue Devils an added inside threat to go along with junior All-America candidate Iciss Tillis, sophomore Winter Whitely and freshmen Mistie Bass and Brooke Smith.

However, according to recruiting guru Brett McCormick of the All Star Girls Report, Bales' greatest asset may be her versatility.

"Alison has a great all-around game," McCormick said. "She's going to add size to Duke, but she's also smart, she's got good low post moves and she can shoot the three even though she's a center. Her skill level inside and outside is great. She really doesn't have too many weaknesses."

Bales, who is ranked No. 8 among high school seniors by the All Star Girls Report, will bring an impressive resume to a Duke team already loaded with talent.

She led Beavercreek High School to a state championship her sophomore year, and averaged 16 points per game as a junior. Among numerous other accolades, Bales has been named a USA Today Sophomore and Junior All-American, the Student Sports National Sophomore of the Year and a Parade All-America Third Team member.

With the addition of Bales, Duke once again will boast one of the nation's top recruiting classes. The Blue Devils' five-member class of 2006 was widely considered the best in the country, and Bales and Hunter assure that the class of 2007 will also be talent rich.

"Duke definitely has at least the No. 2 recruiting class in the country now, and only Vanderbilt may be better," McCormick said. "Duke is definitely set for the next three to four years with the players it has now."

Share and discuss “Women's bball lands blue chipper” on social media.