Swimming teams fall to Tar Heels

After a successful weekend that saw the men's and women's swimming and diving teams take three out of four possible meets, the Blue Devils came crashing back to earth Tuesday night when they were swept by their next door neighbors, the North Carolina Tar Heels at Maurice J. Koury Natatorium.

In the end, the men fell to the Tar Heels 183-100, while the women lost 164-123.

Despite the loss, several Blue Devils came away relatively happy with the meet as they recorded career and personal-best times.

The women's 200 medley relay team of Katie Fay, Lauren Cornet, Katie Ness and Julia Lewis led the way, swimming one of the fastest times in Duke history as the team touched in at 1:47.83.

Ness also broke her personal best in the 100 backstroke by more than six seconds, while Lewis turned in a 24.60 in the 50 freestyle--the best time swam in that event by a female Blue Devil this season.

On the men's side, the 200 medley relay of Dave Peck, Ben Rowland, John Humphrey and Chris Brede was also impressive by Duke standards, posting a season best time of 1:37.70. Peck, Billy Pearce and Matt Mailoux all posted season best times in their individual events.

For the Tar Heels, junior Casey Coble and sophomore Reid Owen both turned in impressive meets, as each picked up a pair of individual wins.

The loss dropped the women's team to 4-4 overall and 0-3 in the ACC. The men's side, which picked up its first win of the season last weekend, is 1-5 overall and 0-3 in the conference.

The Blue Devils get a few days off before competing in their next meet, the George Mason Invitational in Fairfax, Va., Nov. 22-24.

Share and discuss “Swimming teams fall to Tar Heels” on social media.