Students tutor Asian immigrants

Although some Duke students spend their Saturday afternoons catching up on sleep or homework, a dozen of them do something different--tutoring immigrants from Hong Kong and China in the English language for about two hours every week.

The student volunteers are members of Global Grasp, a student-run organization that aims to raise awareness of global challenges and crises through programs involving people from other cultures and backgrounds.

The group's first project this year is the New Immigrant Program, in which tutors commit themselves to five Saturdays a semester. They usually work with 20 immigrants at the Faith Alliance Church in Goldsboro, N.C.--a 90-minute drive from Durham.

"I met one of the families in Goldsboro in July," said sophomore Margaret Wat, president and founder of Global Grasp. "I suggested that we tutor them in English because most of them had just [emigrated] here. They expressed interest immediately."

The majority of the immigrants come from Hong Kong and China to work at poultry farms in Goldsboro. Wat said that while most are content just to improve their command of the English language, some eventually work towards a General Education Diploma.

"The tutors are really helpful. I cannot form sentences well and yet they are patient with me," said Li Mei Zeng, speaking in Mandarin. Zeng came to North Carolina from China two years ago to look for a job and for the chance to give her son a "good education."

"I've made many friends too," she added. "A few weeks ago, they invited me to visit Duke. Your school is so beautiful."

Freshman Jules Bruno said although the immigrants are diligent and enthusiastic, the tutoring requires concentration and dedication.

"I was teaching a lady how to bake a cake. I could not understand what she was saying and she had to resort to hand gestures," he said. "Later, I realized she was telling me about kneading the dough."

Bruno said he hopes to inspire them to love the language, and at the same time, teach them something about his culture.

"It's a give and take situation," said freshman Emily Antoon. "I learned how to say 'I'm a student at Duke,' and the immigrants were interested about where I'm from. We make some really awesome connections despite the language barrier."

She added that while she has tutored kids in English before, this was a totally different experience as these English-learners were old enough to be her aunt or uncle. Although most of the immigrants are in their 40s, their teenage children also get tutored.

Global Grasp is planning to continue the program next semester, and is also looking into reviving the World Club, a refugee-mentoring program for refugee high school students in the Triangle.

Wat said that the group has been really blessed with the tutors they have now.

"We continue to look for Duke tutors who are enthusiastic, open-minded and who want to work with people from other cultures," she said.

Share and discuss “Students tutor Asian immigrants” on social media.