A Preview of Holiday Madness

Science/Fantasy

Two Towers

Poised for another epic Oscar run, the second installment of The Lord of the Rings will deliver as promised. Expect all the surprises, stunning special effects and the imaginative creatures first found in The Fellowship of the Ring. This ain't no Chamber of Secrets, and why am I writing this? You already know that you need to see it.--Dec. 18

Star Trek: Nemesis

If Solaris doesn't end up being about Space (Frodo concurs), catch Captain Picard (along with LeVar Burton) and the old "Next Generation Crew" for intrigue and Romulans-lots and lots of Romulans.--Dec. 13

Solaris

Hollywood has been snatching classic sci-fi books off the shelves recently, like this project adapted by Steven Soderbergh from a Polish novel by Stanislaw Lem. Put George Clooney in a spaceship, start messing with his head and you get a psychological thriller that could be the biggest surprise at the Oscars this spring.--Nov. 27

Oscar Hopefuls and Oscar Wannabes

Rabbit Proof Fence

Released in Australia over a year ago, Fence has been redone to suit American audiences. In this much buzzed film, three Aboriginal girls are kidnapped and forced to serve white families. Eventually though, they escape their captors and trek 1,500 miles across the Outback in search of freedom. Originally meant to shed light on Australia's own imperialistic faults, this movie now hopes to serve as a message against Mc-World imperialists.--Nov. 29 (limited release)

About Schmidt

Brought to you by the directors of the fabulous Election, this is the story of an old Nebraskan insurance agent, who after trying to run his daughter's life, realizes his own has turned out to be nothing like he'd hoped. If rumors bear truth, it may just land Jack Nicholson an Oscar nomination. Keep your eyes open and check the art theatres-this is one not to be missed.--Dec. 13 (limited release)

Gangs of New York

After being delayed for a year, Martin Scorsese is ready to unveil his big-budget vision of street violence in the formative years of our greatest city. Pitting Daniel Day Lewis against Leonardo DiCaprio, Gangs of New York could be just the kind of epic drama that the Academy seems to fall in love with every year.--Dec. 20

Catch Me If You Can

Two Steven Spielberg movies in one year? Compared with Minority Report, this is just kid's stuff for the prolific director, giving him a chance to relax in between his seemingly annual parade of sci-fi epics. DiCaprio will be competing with himself at the box office, as he plays a high school student who poses in various professions, forging paychecks as he travels the world and tries to dodge the long arm of Tom Hanks.--Dec. 25

The Pianist

Looking for an Oscar favorite? This one has Best Picture written all over it. The Pianist combines the thematic power of the Holocaust with the sheer directorial brilliance of Roman Polanski for a gripping, moving drama. Usually films that garner the top prize at Cannes aren't embraced as easily by American award-givers, but this could be an exception.--Dec. 27 (limited release)

Chicago 

Looking to recoup their losses after surprising bombs such as Full Frontal earlier this year, Miramax hopes to turn the heads of audiences and critics alike with this adaptation of the popular Broadway musical. The cast is formidable, headlined by Renee Zellweger, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Richard Gere, but will audiences really take a movie with singing and dancing seriously?--Dec. 27 (limited release)

Share and discuss “A Preview of Holiday Madness” on social media.