Patrons bemoan temporary Sanford deli changes

The Sanford Deli, historically lauded as one of the best eateries on campus, has undergone temporary changes this year that have left many patrons less than satisfied.

The menu has been simplified from last year's and the sandwiches are now pre-made. The current menu features basic grilled sandwiches and a special that changes weekly. All the ingredients are the same as in the past, but the sandwiches are made in the morning rather than on demand.

"We're making them as close to lunchtime as possible," said Denise McMahon, co-owner of the deli. "This is to make things go quicker."

A number of customers have expressed disappointment with the changes.

"I seriously spent so much money there last year," junior Jessica Wolf said. "I don't like the stuff they have now. It's plain."

Peter Jannuzzi, a sophomore and Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee representative, said DUSDAC is working with the deli but that the changes have not been a major cause for concern because the food quality is still high.

"The sandwiches I've had this year have been good," he said. "They're just not the same as they were last year."

In past years, the deli featured specialty items such as the Far East Chicken Wrap and the Southwestern Turkey Wrap, in addition to traditional deli-style sandwiches. Customers had a choice of foccacia bread, roll or wrap, but foccacia bread is no longer available.

The changes to the deli were necessary because the crowds at lunch were too large for the space available.

"We must be one of the smallest facilities on campus," McMahon said. "The constraints of the space were far too great for what we were trying to do. We weren't operating in an efficient way."

Over 600 patrons ate there per day last year, and lines snaked out the door of the Sanford Institute for Public Policy. But the deli was never designed to serve the volume of people it did, said Jim Wulforst, director of dining services. Planners intended the space to be a sandwich bar, and it is ill-equipped for individual sandwich preparation and cooking.

Deli renovations are planned for next summer. McMahon and her husband, co-owner Chris McMahon, approached Dining Services last year petitioning for more space so the deli could continue to offer its full menu.

"I'm planning on putting $90,000 into this to really ramp up what [McMahon] is capable of doing," Wulforst said. The renovated deli will be slightly larger, but most of the changes are aimed at increasing the efficiency of the space.

McMahon hopes the deli will be able to offer made-to-order sandwiches again. She stressed that this year's changes are temporary as she and her husband try to improve their product and their operation.

Wulforst attributed the success of the deli to McMahon's culinary talent and skill.

"Denise [McMahon] came in there with her personality and drive and tripled the revenue," Wulforst said. "[Her management] has been one of our home runs from the get go."

Share and discuss “Patrons bemoan temporary Sanford deli changes” on social media.