Men's basketball must rely on freshmen to win

For the first bit of this fledgling season, one thing has become abundantly clear as the men's basketball team struggles to find its identity. The Blue Devils are young.

Very young. So young, in fact, that the roster boasts a pair of sophomores and six freshmen, a virtually unprecedented move since the NCAA codified recruiting rules.

However, for the first time in three years, the roster doesn't boast three names: Carlos Boozer, Mike Dunleavy and Jay Williams-- trio of players who helped Duke redefine dominance in the college basketball world, taking the Blue Devils to three ACC titles and an NCAA crown.

Instead, while Williams tries to live up to his soaring fame in the Windy City and Boozer and Dunleavy learn the ropes of the NBA, Duke begins a new season in Durham with one of the tallest, youngest, deepest teams head coach Mike Krzyzewski has ever assembled.

"It was different not seeing Jason and Mike and Carlos out there, but we've got some very special players," senior Dahntay Jones said. "They're going to be stars one day, it's just going to take them a little more time. They bring it every day, and it's just great to be out there."

Regardless of the potential of this year's East Campus tenants and their possible dominance down the line, the Blue Devils are still focused on winning now.

To do so, they must refute the ever growing theory in college basketball--something that has only been perpetuated by mass NBA exodus--that youth cannot win titles.

"The freshmen are going to have to play a big role if we're to be successful, so they're going to have to learn quick and be willing to take the bumps and bruises, learn from it and come back stronger," said junior Chris Duhon, the team's only captain. "The guys are already showing improvement and showing signs that they are going to be reliable."

At the forefront of the star-studded class that has been called the best ever recruited are power forwards Shavlik Randolph and Shelden Williams, both of whom have seen significant time and may be starting when the first regular season game against Army rolls around.

Randolph has carried over his high scoring ability to high school, while Williams currently said that his most important role on the team is first to rebound and defend.

In addition the roster boasts guards Sean Dockery and J.J. Redick, forward Lee Melchionni and center Michael Thompson.

Dockery and Redick should be ready to play a lot at the beginning of the season, backing up Duhon and Daniel Ewing, while Melchionni and Thompson may need a little more work. However, both are aware of their roles and could see a lot of time if the situation arises.

"We have more depth on our team because we have more players," Krzyzewski said. "We just don't have the established star or superstar that we've had over the last few years. We've had three of the last four national players of the year, so we've had star guys. Will anyone emerge to be at that level? I don't know. We'll see. We have good players, they're just young."

While Krzyzewski understands that he will have to rely on his freshmen more than he might like to, he has also placed an emphasis on experienced leadership, something that was lost with the unexpected departure of Dunleavy.

The end result is that the Duke faithful have turned their heads to one man, Duhon, hoping he can answer the call when the bell tolls this season.

And while the whole team seems to be more than happy with Duhon's leadership development, he has yet to turn into the huge offensive star for which the Blue Devils are hoping.

Duhon, however, is more than confident he can make the transition, and he has been equally good at convincing others. He was recently voted preseason ACC player of the year by the media.

"He's got to play better because we don't have the stars," Krzyzewski said. "Actually, when you say he's got to play better, it's because you believe he can. It's a statement of belief, not frustration or anything like that. I think for Chris, it's more easily defined what he has to do now than when he had to play with [Jay]. With [Jay] he would allow [Jay] to do some things, but I think that took a little bit away from what he could do. Now he should be in a role where nothing can take away from what he can do."

Duhon, however, is not the only returning starter whose numbers should significantly improve now that they can be in the main rather than the periphery of the offense.

Both Jones and Ewing, a sophomore, came on particularly strong during the Blue Devils trip to London and both have the sleeper potential for monster seasons.

Meanwhile, Duke hopes Nick Horvath and Casey Sanders, whose numbers have begun to wake up since the return to the United States, can be a force off the bench while conveying valuable experience to the freshmen.

Regardless, the depth and talent are present despite the youth, and the Blue Devils look like they might have all the pieces in place to make a run to New Orleans and the Final Four.

"I truly believe you should concentrate on what you have, not what you don't have," Krzyzewski said. "Make the best of what you have and what we have is good, so we should make good things happen with those guys."

Share and discuss “Men's basketball must rely on freshmen to win” on social media.