Lowly Clemson begins season in off-campus exile

The Clemson Tigers, are hoping this season will not be the year the roof falls in--again.

The team, which finished last in the conference last season, will have to host its November and December games 15 miles from campus at the Civic Center of Anderson, while the notoriously inhospitable Littlejohn Coliseum undergoes emergency renovations to its roof.

During the summer, the renovations to Clemson athletic facilities forced players to practice at the local YMCA and on the asphalt courts outside campus housing.

"It's imperative we get back on campus as soon as possible," Clemson head coach Larry Shyatt said.

Clemson hopes to return to Littlejohn for its first ACC contest against Duke five days after New Year's Eve, but there is no guarantee that the Tigers will return to campus by even the end of the season.

While many ACC teams watched their stars either graduate or leave early to enter the NBA draft, Clemson retained much of its talent and leadership. Only four of the ACC's top 21 scorers from last year remain in the league, and two play for Clemson.

"This year we enter the fray with as much experience, depth and leadership as we have had in the last four years," head coach Larry Shyatt said. "Hopefully that will translate into a continued improvement in the victory category and our goal of returning to postseason play."

The team will be led by senior point guard Edward Scott. The six-foot senior was awarded third-team all ACC honors last season after averaging almost 12 points and just under eight assists.

Shyatt has a tremendous amount of confidence in Scott to lead the Tigers through a difficult ACC and out-of-conference schedule.

"I would not trade Edward Scott for a point guard in this country--period," Shyatt said.

As was the case last season, rebounding will continue to be the Tiger's strength. The team compiled a plus-5.1 rebound margin last year, topping the ACC.

The front court is led by Ray Henderson and Chris Hobbs, both of whom have double-double potential.

"All of our guys are coming back at the post position," Scott said. "We've got experience and a really talented young guy in Sharrod Ford, so it's definitely something to look forward to."

Defense has been Clemson's greatest weakness in the past-expect it to remain a problem during the 2002-03 season as well.

"Defense is the area that we need to show the most improvement," Shyatt admitted. "That said, defense is a function of maturity and intellect, and when you look at our roster we certainly should be improved in that area. Hopefully that will lead to an improvement defensively."

Share and discuss “Lowly Clemson begins season in off-campus exile” on social media.