GOP gains promise to make N.C. assembly more lively

Reflecting a nationwide trend, North Carolina state elections saw Republican legislators take control of the state House by a 61-59 majority and narrow the Demo-crats' margin of power in the state Senate.

In addition, Republican gains on both sides of the General Assembly may force legislators to adopt a more bipartisan law-making process, something the Democrats have not had to do in recent times, some experts said.

Over the 2001-2002 session, House Democrats held a 62-58 margin. After election day, the House results showed a 60-60 split for the next session, but Republican candidate Louis Pate from Wayne County gave the Republicans a simple majority when the following Friday's updated vote totals were released, showing a win over House Majority Leader Philip Baddour.

Republicans narrowed the margin in the Senate from 35-15 to 28-22 and have hopes of supplanting President Pro Tempore Marc Basnight, a Democrat, with a new president pro tem, said Senate Minority Leader Patrick Ballantine.

Andrew Taylor, associate professor of political science at North Carolina State University, said there may not be enough Republicans in the Senate to give them a chance of replacing Basnight. "It's much less likely that the Senate will have a leadership tussle," he said.

House Republicans recently held an internal caucus to determine whom they would support Jan. 29 when the General Assembly convenes. Leo Daughtry, current House Minority Leader, received only 36 of the 61 Republican votes. "It's plausible [that Daughtry will not be chosen] given that there seems to be fracturing within [the Republican caucus]," Taylor said. Another Republican representative could try to become speaker by gaining Democratic support, he added.

"It's a very fluid situation," said Thad Beyle, professor of political science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He said although legislators generally stick to party lines, some party stances can drive them to the opposition. "In 1989, 20 Democrats broke away and joined the Republicans, and they ran the state House."

In addition to nursing such a slim majority, Republicans will also have to deal with a Democratic governor. Governor Mike Easley's agenda is more liberal than what most Republicans want, Taylor said. "He'll be coming up for his re-election soon," Taylor said. "He'll want to make sure he can show that there is some accomplishment, and that he can deliver on his agenda."

To aid him in that mission, Easley has at his disposal a method available only to him and previous governor Jim Hunt--veto power passed by a referendum five years ago. Easley exercised the authority for the first time ever earlier this month to strike down a bill designating dozens of appointments to boards and commissions.

"He signed it the Sunday before the election and didn't release it to the public until after the election," Beyle said of the controversial veto decision.

Ted Arrington, professor of political science at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, said that as a former attorney--Easley served as Attorney General before his election as governor in 2000--Easley is not used to the give-and-take of the legislative arena.

"Nationally, policy experts agree that a veto means the president has lost," Arrington said. "[The veto] means he didn't influence the legislative process enough."

Taylor predicted that even before any bills reach the governor, there will be large legislative battles in Raleigh next year. "There'll be plenty going on and plenty of fireworks," he said.

Share and discuss “GOP gains promise to make N.C. assembly more lively” on social media.