Alana Beard: Leading by example

As a sophomore, Alana Beard dominated like no other female basketball player ever had at Duke University. She led the ACC in scoring (19.3 points per game), field goal percentage (.572) and steals (3.3 per game). Included on practically every magazine and organization's first-team All-America squad, Beard stood out as one of the elite players in all of women's collegiate basketball.

The spectacular shooting guard guided the Blue Devils to a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament and a birth in the Final Four. Now, with Duke currently ranked first in most national preseason polls, the 5-foot-11 junior prepares to lead her teammates back to the Tournament, this time all the way to an NCAA Championship.

Within the ACC, Beard elicits praise from Duke's every rival, particularly after the Blue Devils' 19-0 romp through the conference regular season and ACC Tournament.

"She's the heart and soul of their team," North Carolina head coach Sylvia Hatchell said. "Not only is she a skilled player, but she has that mentality, that leadership and that focus that you have to have. She carries that to the rest of the team."

Amongst the Blue Devils, Beard's most impressive features are her work ethic and unwavering honesty. A natural leader through the individual example she sets with her effort, the junior establishes an ideal for her teammates to follow.

"She's so professional," freshman Jessica Foley said. "She trains so hard-every day you have got to be on the ball, you can't have an off day because she's so amazing."

"Off the court she's just a great person," freshman Mistie Bass added. "I think she can bring out the best in people, not only as players but as people. She's just so real. She's not a fake person."

How does Beard reconcile being in a class of her own? For one thing, she ignores all the publicity that comes with being a first-team preseason All-American on the nation's preseason No. 1-ranked team.

"It hasn't been a problem at all because I was always taught when I first started playing basketball and first started getting attention to keep things in perspective and to stay humble," Beard said. "I give a lot of credit to my parents. They never let my head get too big."

A steady examination of Beard's talents and character leads to a rather startling observation: She appears to be the consummate everything. Their are few athletes anywhere that can match her as a player, as a teammate, as a leader and as a role model.

Her renowned enthusiasm for the game is tireless, as is her willingness to take on added responsibilities.

"I'm focused all the time... anytime it's game-time, anytime it's practice-time I'm always ready to go," Beard said. "As far as being a leader of the team, I love it. I love to be depended on."

Of course there have been times in her career in which Beard's relentless attitude has left her physically exhausted and emotionally drained.

After Duke's bitter 86-71 Final Four defeat to eventual national runner-up Oklahoma, a tearful Beard struggled for words. As more reporters gathered inside the Blue Devil locker room, it became clear Beard was not ready to deal to let go of the season. As she lashed out with predictions and guarantees, one could sense that Beard refused to accept that the Blue Devils had fallen short of the ultimate goal despite all of the energy they had given over the season.

"After the Oklahoma game I was just tired," Beard explained. "I think that game made me smarter because I worked [too] hard during the season.... I'm playing hard but I'm playing smart right now."

Beard also talked about how much calmer and relaxed she felt this summer and that pain from the April loss quickly dissipated with time, mostly because of her confidence in Duke's ability to succeed at this year's Final Four in Atlanta.

Therein lies Beard's ultimate focus, her raison d'etre: Regardless of what individual dominance she achieves this upcoming season, her only true validation will be leading her teammates to a national championship.

Share and discuss “Alana Beard: Leading by example” on social media.