Top national recruits arrive to meet with Goestenkors

Two highly-regarded prospects visit Duke this weekend, Alison Bales and Brittany Hunter. Either Hunter, a 6-3 center from Brookhaven High School in Columbus Ohio, or Bales, a 6-6 center from Beavercreek, Ohio, could provide the all-ready loaded Blue Devils with a quality low-post presence. Both come to Duke highly-decorated; Hunter is ranked no. 1 by All Star Girls' high school rankings, while Bales was selected Student Sports' national Sophomore of the Year after leading her team to a state championship two years ago.

Both show an unusual degree of versatility for their size. Although Bales' stature might be her most noticeable characteristic, her all-around skills have earned the praise of several scouts and basketball aficionados.

"She can do a little bit of it all," said All Star Girls' Report recruiting expert Brett McCormick. "She can put it on the floor, she can shoot the jump shot, she runs the floor well."

Her high school coach, Ed Zink, agrees.

"Of course she can play inside... but she might be our best three-point shooter," opines Zink. "Duke is an up-tempo team... if she went there maybe she could get that kind of opportunity."

Perhaps even more impressive, Bales has shown the type of work ethic that has enabled her to improve her game over her high school career, slimming down every year and overcoming both asthma and early knee-difficulties.

"She's going to have to get stronger and get more aggressive." said coach Zink. "She's almost got a tendency to be too nice."

Still, with Bales, it is difficult to ignore her tremendous upside. She is described by many as being an impact player on both ends of the court.

Hunter, meanwhile, has been frequently referred to as the most highly sought-after player in this year's class. Scouts at the Nike All-American Camp described her as one of the "few consistently excellent players at the camp." She is noted for her post skills, court vision, rebounding, intensity and basketball intelligence. As a junior, she averaged 19.6 points and 14 rebounds.

Share and discuss “Top national recruits arrive to meet with Goestenkors” on social media.