Letter: Event implying Duke's support for Dole deplorable

I would like to take this opportunity to voice my disgust with the University for allowing an event entitled "Blue Devils for Dole" to take place. Even though the University has not endorsed Elizabeth Dole as a candidate, the title of this event implies that Duke does.

Bob Conroy, Trinity '68, summed it up best by stating he had "no problem with them being Republicans or supporting Dole, but for them to do it under the Blue Devil name...Is inappropriate." The fact remains that our basketball coaches are using the positions of their respective men's and women's teams to voice their own political views. Not only is this wrong, but it makes the University look bad when Duke's name is attached to it.

As private citizens, both coaches have the right to hold an event in support of their favorite candidate. However, to call the event "Blue Devils for Dole" gives the impression that the University has chosen to support one candidate in the race. In no way do they have a right to give such an implication no matter how successful each coach is on the basketball court.

It doesn't matter that Dole graduated from Duke in 1958. All that matters is that Duke is visibly, although unintentionally, placing its support behind a candidate.

Share and discuss “Letter: Event implying Duke's support for Dole deplorable” on social media.